IRC Crisis Data Analyst - Jobs in Kenya
IRC Crisis Data Analyst - Jobs in Kenya
The IRC's Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit
The IRC’s Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit (EHAU) oversees IRC’s global acute emergency preparedness and response activities. The mission of the EHAU is to expand and improve IRC’s ability to help affected communities survive in acute emergencies and hard to reach contexts by investing in people, systems, and solutions to complicated humanitarian challenges. The EHAU team achieves this mission through ongoing rigorous risk analysis, investing in capacity strengthening of frontline humanitarians, partnership with local actors, offering collaborative support and technical assistance to teams working in emergencies and hard to reach places, and deploying and supporting world class emergency response staff as they help people affected by acute crisis situations.Job Overview/Summary:
The Crisis Data Analyst will be a core member of the IRC's Crisis Analysis team, a small team working globally to support the IRC to understand – and thus respond better to – humanitarian crises. Working in partnership with other team members, the wider EHAU department, and colleagues across the IRC, the role will focus on deploying data analysis techniques to help the IRC respond quickly to new emergencies and understand how it can best serve crisis-affected communities. Major Responsibilities:Maintain and update the Emergency Classification system (50%)
• Update and refine classification methodology as needed, ensuring the system performs as expected and meets the IRC's evolving needs.
• Carry out periodic updates to back-end data and analysis of Emergency Classification system. Watchlist (25%)
• Deliver quantitative aspects of the yearly Emergency Watchlist (countries where the IRC believes emergencies are likely to occur in the coming year).
• Collaborate with other members of Crisis Analysis team to review and update Watchlist methodology on annual basis.
• Represent the Watchlist internally and externally. Process Emergency Classifications (15%)
• Rapidly classify new emergencies using the IRC's internal classification system, to support senior IRC colleagues to allocate emergency response resources. Review classifications processed by other team members. Training on this system will be provided.
• Participate in maintaining Emergency Classification systems, in particular ensuring that timely notifications are issued and that clear records are kept.
• Flag new emergencies that could be classifiable and agree with affected Country Programs how to proceed.
• Most classification requests are handled during working hours, but all members of the team participate in a roster system to share responsibility for monitoring for classification requests at weekends. The Crisis Data Analyst may, very occasionally, be involved in processing and issuing a classification at weekends where this is essential to ensure a timely response to a new emergency. Other Crisis Analysis projects (10%)
• Contribute to other Global Crisis Analysis output as required, for example by producing simple data visualizations (e.g. Excel pivot charts).
• Stay abreast of latest data analysis approaches and advise on how they could be applied to Crisis Analysis. Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Global Crisis Analysis Lead
- Position directly supervises: None
Indirect Reporting: None
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Close working relationships with rest of Crisis Analysis team and EHAU colleagues; foster and maintain relationships with external researchers, academics and other leaders in the field of international emergencies, data analytics and measurement.Job Requirements:
Education: Graduate degree in Research Science, Statistics, econometrics, epidemiology or related field - or extensive relevant work experience
Work Experience: At least 3-4 years of directly relevant experience in a similar position (quantitative data analysis).Demonstrated Skills and Aptitudes:
• Superb data preparation, analysis and reporting skills.
• Knowledge of statistical methodologies required, including proficiency in at least one professional statistical software e.g. R, Python, etc..
• Other relevant skills and experience highly
valued, e.g. mapping/GIS, early-warning systems, protection analysis, data analysis/management, advocacy experience, humanitarian access, etc.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with team members who are working on more qualitative aspects of Crisis Analysis and may not be familiar with data analysis.
• Ability to respond to multiple priorities in a timely manner, delivering high-quality products in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge of global humanitarian system and work in humanitarian settings preferred.
• Strong dedication to the IRC’s mission, purpose and values.
Language Skills: English is the IRC's main working language. Proficiency in additional languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Kiswahili) an advantage.
Working Environment: Standard office working environment.
The Emergencies & Humanitarian Action Unit strives to build a diverse and inclusive team at all levels who as individuals, and as a group, embody our culture statement creating a working environment characterized by critical reflection, power sharing, debate, and objectivity for us to achieve our aspirations as a unit and deliver the best possible services to our clients.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.US Benefits:
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles. COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.How to apply
For more information and job application details, see; IRC Crisis Data Analyst - Jobs in Kenya
Find daily jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!