IOM Senior Movement Operations Manager Jobs in Ethiopia
IOM Senior Movement Operations Manager Jobs in Ethiopia
Context: Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Special Liaison Office, and Chief of Mission IOM/SLO in Addis Ababa and the direct supervision of Deputy Chief of Mission, the Senior Movement Operations Officer Ethiopia, is responsible for supervising all movement operations activities in Ethiopia, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Oversee up to seven teams of staff members who are undertaking movement operations activities in the complex operating environment of Ethiopia, including activities related to field support, movements, data processing and compliance. Support staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of activities.
Oversee the efficient and effective management of airport services for arriving and departing individuals, including in relation to documentation, luggage, escorts and special services. Ensure staff deliver the highest quality service, interact appropriately with airport and government officials and handle urgent issues as they occur. Monitor the work schedule, validate hours and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with the IOM finance department.
Ensure interpretation services are coordinated for individuals at the airport, in transit centre’s, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water, handling financial paperwork related to interpretation services as needed. Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centre’s and third-party facilities, ensuring service providers meet IOM standards. Oversee pre-departure counselling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs, such as meals, medication, wheelchairs and medical conditions.
Oversee the completion of all bookings by Movements staff members in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT). Ensure compliance with program-specific SOPs and supervise the distribution of travel information to stakeholders. Oversee the creation of movement data files and oversee Movements staff members as they compile and analyse descriptive statistics. Certify and handle the processing of vendor-incurred costs.
Ensure compliance activities related to project monitoring and evaluation, training, youth services, project reporting, project support and protection are being carried out efficiently and effectively by the Operations Specialist, Compliance and that they are reporting regularly on the work being accomplished, particularly in relation to training of Movement Operations staff members and youth service activities at IOM transit centres.
Liaise with airlines on a regular basis and represent the best interest of beneficiaries and clients for competitive fares with the most direct routing. Liaise with other teams and units in IOM Ethiopia and with external partners such as government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). As needed, represent IOM at partner meetings and conferences.
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert Deputy Chief of Mission or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, International Relations, Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional
• Experience in the field of migrants' assistance with a government or UN agency, or a regional or international organization.
• Prior Movement Operations experience, especially in IOM, is highly preferred.
• Direct experience in the region an advantage.
• Transportation-related and/or management experience is a strong advantage.
• Knowledge of IOM's Movement Operations program implementation and administrative, financial, and business rules and practices is desirable.
• Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.); Knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis an added advantage.
• Demonstrated proficiency with IGator, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus.
• Excellent computer skills and a high level of proficiency in spreadsheet and database applications.
• Excellent verbal and written and communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with and lead a team.
• Ability to work with large, multi-cultural teams in a changing environment, including supervision of a team, directly and remotely.
• Good knowledge of UN, IOM, International Organizations and NGO mandates and programmes in migrant's rights, humanitarian assistance, post conflict migration and development.
• Knowledge of IOM's Movement Operations programme implementation and administrative, financial, and business rules and practices is desirable.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via
PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.