IOM Programme Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
IOM Programme Officer Jobs in EthiopiaContextIOM Ethiopia, together with partners concerned, is implementing a Better Migration Management (BMM) Programme, which is a regional, multi-year, multi-partner programme co-funded by the EU Trust Fund for Africa and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) coordinated by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The BMM programme takes a regional approach to improve the management of safe, orderly and regular migration in the region and support national authorities in addressing the smuggling of migrants and the trafficking in human beings within and from the Horn of Africa. More specifically, the programme is expected to strengthen national and regional migration governance in accordance with the global and regional frameworks; increase national and cross-border cooperation on trafficking and smuggling cases between investigation, prosecution, courts and other state as well as non-state actors in accordance with international standards; and improve the prevention of trafficking in persons and protection of vulnerable migrants at local, national and regional level ensuring appropriate assistance and support for victims of trafficking in human beings, taking into accounts the gender specificity of the phenomenon and the particular vulnerability of women and children.
Under the BMM Programme, IOM is contributing to the following results:
Migration governance: Effective and coherent coordination between government institutions responsible for migration management at local, national, and regional levels is reinforced. The development of national policies and strategies on safe and regular migration is supported, and National legislation on safe and regular migration and related issues is improved.
National and Cross-Border Cooperation on Anti-Trafficking and Smuggling: The capacity of border authorities is strengthened in view of facilitated safe, orderly, and regular migration and improved cooperation on trafficking and smuggling cases.
Prevention and Protection: Access to information on safe, orderly and regular migration for migrants or potential migrants, including potential victims of trafficking is improved, Protection of victims of trafficking (incl. victims of forced labour and children) and vulnerable migrants is improved, and access to sustainable solutions for victims of trafficking and vulnerable migrants is facilitated within the region.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM), the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, Migration Management and under the technical supervision of the
Senior BMM Regional Programme Manager, in coordination with the relevant Regional Thematic Specialists in the Regional Office for the East and Horn of Africa and relevant units in IOM headquarters, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring/evaluation and coordination of BMM Programme activities in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Ensure that the BMM programme in Ethiopia is implemented in a timely manner and check that its budgetary, administrative, and technical aspects are in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
Support the Migration Management Programme Coordinator in ensuring that IOM’s BMM programme activities are contributing to the mission’s migration management strategy and programming.
Support the monitoring, documentation, and communication of progress against BMM strategic objectives and programme benchmarks as per the BMM log frame and contribute information used in BMM reports in collaboration with the Regional Office BMM programme staff.
Review IOM’s contribution to the BMM consortium in Ethiopia for compliance with strategic approach and bring issues to the attention of the supervisor.
Provide and coordinate inputs for information requests from Headquarters, the Regional Office, other IOM missions and external partners, such as donors, government, partner agencies, and implementing partners, in close coordination with the Senior Regional Programme Manager.
In close coordination with the Migration Management Programme Coordinator, supervise other programme support staff and monitor the work of consultants.
Liaise with relevant stakeholders, such as donor and Government counterparts, United Nations agencies, International Non-Governmental organizations, etc. to enhance project’s effectiveness and avoid duplication.
Facilitate the development and implementation of staff capacity measures in the areas of project development, project reporting, migration governance, migrant protection, results-based management, joint programming and monitoring and evaluation with the substantive support and participation from other IOM units.
Facilitate the consideration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children, environment, and other vulnerable groups during programme development and implementation.
Draft guidance notes, documentation and briefs for senior IOM and government officials.
Undertake duty travel as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in migration studies, international relations, political science, development studies, law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project development, implementation, and monitoring;
• Experience working in various migration management areas of IOM’s portfolio including migrant protection and assistance, Integrated Border Management, migration policy, labour migration and migration and emergency preparedness;
• Experience working in teams and providing technical and administrative guidance to staff;
• Proven track record of establishing and maintaining good collaborative working relationships with governmental, diplomatic authorities, UN agencies, and civil society;
• Proven experience mobilizing funds from various donors including humanitarian and development donors;
• Experience in East Africa or Southern Africa region is an advantage.
• Strong analytical, writing and reporting skills;
• Familiarity with MS Office software (Word, Excel, Access), CAD and other statistical software.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Amharic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 August 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.