IOM NGO Nurse Jobs in Kenya
IOM NGO Nurse Jobs in KenyaJob DescriptionContext:
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Migration Health Assessment Center, and under the direct supervision of the Chief Nurse at the IOM Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC), the incumbent will be responsible for performing required routine clinical tasks/procedures in connection with the health assessment and treatment to ensure that identified refugees and migrants are medically fit to migrate in accordance with the medical/health requirements of the receiving countries.
The incumbent will be assigned to different MHD units in Nairobi such as – MHAC, UK Tuberculosis Program, the Transit Center (TC) and other locations within Nairobi as may be identified.Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1.Perform routine clinical tasks required by the Migration Health Physicians during Migration Health Assessments, in particular: taking and recording medical history, performing anthropometrics, visual acuity and vital signs measurements.
2. Compile medical records, files, charts, X-ray films, decoded laboratory results prior to physical examination for doctor’s use.
3. Authenticate the identity of refugee/migrant, as may be requested, prior to clinical or radiology examinations.
4. Assist and provide directions to clients of medical facilities – i.e.: doctor’s office, lab, radiology offices.
5. As a duty Nurse, triage, coordinate the work and ensure client flow during physical examination.
6. Assist the Migration Health Physicians during actual physical examinations.
7. Administer prescriptions/recommendations ordered by the Migration Health Physicians, including application of appropriate treatment.
8. Prepare, install or sterilize medical equipment needed for medical examination.
9. Monitor and report expiration dates of drugs and medicines and refer to the Pharmaceutical Assistant for disposal.
10. Perform pre-departure medical checks, surveillance and administers treatment, including vaccinations as required for travelling refugees/migrants.
11. Prepare a report on therapeutic procedures administered to migrants, in accordance with the requirements of resettlement countries.
12. Monitor progress of medical cases and implement follow-up procedure; arrange further examination and health counselling as may be required.
14. Maintain confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients, partners and health professionals.
15. Prepare monthly reports.
16. Provide health orientation/information education to individual patients or groups of refugees.
17. Assist in the preparation of health certificates in coordination with the Data Processing Assistants.
18. Administer first aid treatment as may be necessary.
19. Identify and inform the Head, Migration Health Assessment Center in Nairobi of infectious diseases and administer preventive action as soon as possible.
20. Data entry of client/applicant information for both UKTB Global Software if he/she is assigned in UKTB and Mimosa at Migration Health Assessment Center.
21. Prepare and issue certificates to UK applicants when she/he is assigned in UKTB.
22. Raise Payment Coupons for additional tests/treatment as requested by the Migration Health Physician.
23. Administer vaccinations to applicants according to the requirements/indications of the respective resettlement countries and maintain cold chain.
24. Under the supervision of the Head, Migration Health Assessment Center, refer cases/applicants for additional TB investigations and/or treatment and counselling when it is required.
25. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Nurse.Required Qualifications and Experience
Education Completed University degree in Nursing with 2 years of relevant professional experience or; Diploma in Nursing from an accredited institution with 4 years of relevant professional experience.
Valid Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK) Practice License as a Registered Nurse
1.Minimum of 4 years work experience in Clinical Nursing.
2. Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
3. Capable of working under stressful and difficult conditions.
4. Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
5.Training and experience in TB, STIs, other communicable diseases and migration health is considered an asset.
6. Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be strong advantage.
7. Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Swahili is required
Inclusion & respect for diversity
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines
Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Managing and Sharing Knowledge
Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them
Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement
Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application by sending a Motivation Letter and the updated CV to the email address KCOrecruitmentMHD@iom.int referring to this advertisement.
Closing Date: 13th November, 2019
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!