IOM Field Security Officer Jobs in Nigeria
IOM Field Security Officer Jobs in Nigeria
Context:Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), technical supervision of the Country FSO and in close collaboration with the Office of Staff Security (OSS) at Headquarters (HQ) and Dakar Regional Office, and the Programme Managers in Abuja, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for all security and safety matters related directly or indirectly to all IOM personnel and property in Abuja, Nigeria.
S/he will rationally and successfully manage the IOM Abuja Staff and Security Unit, and plan, coordinate and implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address staff safety and the protection of IOM assets.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Collaborate, coordinate and establish networks with other international organizations, government security services and agencies working in the security management field, and ensure appropriate lines of communications relating to all aspects of staff safety and security related to the IOM operations and programmes are established and well maintained.
Provide advice, technical support and assistance to the CoM, Programme and Project Managers and when required and possible, collaborate with other offices in the Region regarding safety/ security matters that will impact IOM's operations and programmes. Provide relevant technical and strategic analysis on potential threats/ risks to staff/ programmes and ensure that appropriate safety/ security information is disseminated to staff members.
Maintain a close working relationship with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) in Nigeria, and a comprehensive working knowledge of the present IOM/ UNDSS Memorandum of Understanding related to the various security protocols stipulated in this agreement, including the framework of Accountability of the UN Security Risk Management System (SRM), Residential Security Measures (RSM) and the UNDSS Security Policy Manual requirements. This will include working knowledge of various UNDSS security plans, evacuation/emergency protocols in place in the mission, and ensuring that IOM staff are familiar with these plans.
Manage the IOM SSU Unit in Abuja, ensuring a team approach and coach, train, and monitor the Local Security Staff (LSA). Ensure reciprocal professional growth and organizational support. Conduct security assessments / evaluations, monitor regional security threats/trends, in collaboration with the OSS that will enable comprehensive threat/risk analyses, and further offer appropriate recommendations.
Participate in the UNDSS led security cell meetings and brief Chief of Mission and Country FSO as required. Attend the UN Senior Management Team meetings (SMT) as an observer, if needed.
In coordination with Country FSO, UNDSS, relevant partners and OSS Operations Centre, conduct facilities and operational safety and security threats and risk assessments and provide effective mitigation.
Review and monitor the level of SRM and RSM compliance in Abuja office and other offices as required and make recommendations to effectively address all non-compliance findings.
Develop and provide safety and security briefings for IOM Personnel in Abuja and for those travelling to field locations in-country.
Conduct emergency exercises/ drills to ensure that staff are following established security procedures, such as convoy radio checks, general convoy security and provide relevant trainings and refresher trainings to ensure staff members are fully aware of security procedures in the field.
Review and provide recommendations on the office Emergency/Contingency Plans (such as operations and medical evacuation, Business Continuity Plan (BCP), and emergency communications systems). This includes an effective and frequently tested Warden System.
Respond as appropriate to safety and security incidents relating to IOM personnel, programmes and, to the extent possible, key implementing partners in Abuja and ensure all are reported to the relevant channels in a timely manner.
Fill in for the Country FSO in case of absence as required.
Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Security Management, Law and /or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields or equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces of country of residence with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Security management, migrant Camp Security, and emergency response;
• Comprehensive understanding of the United Nations Security
Management System (UNSMS)system and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
• Experience in United Nations missions, international peacekeeping, humanitarian emergency operations, strategic security planning/analysis and advanced security training with national or international security agencies or private organizations is highly desirable;
• Previous working experience in the region an advantage.
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
• Demonstrate the ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment;
• Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
• Strong general analytical skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 January 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find Latest Jobs in Nigeria Today - Recruitment in Nigeria Job - Nigerian Jobs - in Nigeria - Job Vacancies in Nigeria
Search our career portal & find the latest Nigerian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Nigeria.
Jobs in Nigeria - banking jobs in Nigeria, IT jobs in Nigeria, accounting jobs in Nigeria, NGO jobs in Nigeria, business administration in Nigeria, ICT jobs in Nigeria, UN jobs in Nigeria, procurement jobs in Nigeria, education jobs in Nigeria, hospital jobs in Nigeria, human resources jobs in Nigeria, engineering jobs in Nigeria, teaching jobs in Nigeria, and other careers in Nigeria.
Oil and Gas job vacancies in Nigeria, MTN jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria for fresh graduates.
Federal government jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria Federal Civil Service.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Nigeria posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.