International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals Medical Officer Jobs in Tanzania
International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals Medical Officer Jobs in Tanzania
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Registry of the United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (“Mechanism”), the Arusha Branch. Duties may also include travel to the sub-office in Kigali, Rwanda and coordination activities with The Hague Branch of the Mechanism. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Chief, Human Resources Section.ResponsibilitiesSummary of key functions:
• Clinical Duties
• Medical Administrative Duties
• Supervisory Administration
• Coordination of UN Cares activities
• Emergency medical response
• Duties may also include travel to the sub-office in Kigali, RwandaClinical Duties:
• Attend the United Nations Clinic on a full time basis.
• Treat persons detained under the authority of the Mechanism and witnesses of the Mechanism, when required.
• Respond to acute emergencies in line with international protocols such as advanced trauma life support management and advanced cardiac life support or Pre Hospital Trauma life support.
• Be able to do triage and primary stabilization.
• Undertake day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, pre-placement and periodic medical examinations and immunizations.
• Provide health education.
• Participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
• Undertake medical examinations for international and local staff and dependents.
• Undertake medical examination of witnesses and detainees under the responsibility of the IRMCT.
• Diagnose and recommend treatment to all staff visiting the Clinic on a daily basis.
• Be on call during and outside office hours to observe and treat emergencies in the IRMCT Clinic. Undertake house calls when required.
• Responsible for entry and periodic medical examinations for United Nations staff members who choose to use the IRMCT Clinic for their examinations.Medico Administrative Duties:
• Liaise with other dispensaries, host-nation medical facilities and medical facilities abroad to coordinate medical evacuations.
• Follow the United Nations established policies and procedures regarding medical clearances, sick leave and medical evacuations.
• Recommend medical evacuation when required and facilitate medical evacuations authorized by the UN Medical Director of IRMCT staff and their dependents in consultations with the Registry Officer-in-Charge for further investigation and major treatment.
• Responsible for all paper work and reporting procedures for medical evacuations in line with UN Rules and procedures.
• Ensure proper follow up on all cases.
• Responsible for establishing good relations with reliable hospitals, private medical facilities and blood banks and local physician, including UNEP if available.
• Keep constant contact with the United Nations Designated Examining Physicians to facilitate their availability as and when required.
• Ensure that proper medical records are kept in a strictly confidential manner.
• Maintain emergency medical supplies and equipment to be used in case of emergency situation.
• Replenish first aid kits and other essential medical supplies kept in other duty stations within the country, if any.
• Recommend procurement of vaccines, medical supplies and equipment, and ensure that inventory is kept up-to-date.
• Maintain medical records of all IRMCT personnel and advise health precautionary steps to new staff members; already include above.
• Prepare and send periodic (quarterly) reports of functions, visits, medical evacuations and treatments at the Clinic to the United Nations Medical Service.
• Advise on health precautionary steps to be undertaken at the duty station, and perform any other duties as considered necessary by the United Nations Medical Director and/or the Registry Officer-in-Charge.Supervisory Administration:
• Supervise, distribute work to the nurse (s) and other staff of the IRMCT Clinic.
• Manage day-to-day IRMCT medical support operations by ensuring availability of supplies and proper functioning of medical equipment.
• Ensure that appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health education, HIV/AIDS prevention, first aid and CPR).
• Responsible for regular reporting on IRMCT clinic activities, medical facilities
available locally and other statistical information as may be required.
• Responsible for the supervision and distribution of work for the nurse(s) and other staff of the IRMCT Clinic.Coordination of UN Cares Activities:
• Planning and organization of training of focal points and peer educators.
• Arranging the dissemination of UN policies on HIV/AIDS.
• Conducting an education and information campaign.Competencies
• Professionalism - Knowledge of clinical medicine. Formal training in CPR and, preferably in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care. Ability to work efficiently and independently. Flexible, with the ability to work with limited resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
• Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Managerial Competencies
• Building Trust – provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion. Manages in a deliberate and predictable way. Operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda. Places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients. Gives proper credit to others. Follows through on agreed upon actions. Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately.
• Judgement/Decision-making – Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. EducationAdvanced University Degree in Medicine (MD), from an accredited University and currently licensed to practice within home country or other national jurisdiction. Valid certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support OR Pre hospital trauma life support is desirable. Certification in HIV care OR VCCT is desirable.
Job - Specific Qualification
Certification in Advanced Trauma Life Support is required.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support or Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience and practice in general medicine of which at least one year should be in Trauma and Emergency care and two years in Internal Medicine is required
Experience in developing countries is desirable.
Experience with occupational and tropical/travel medicine is desirable.
Previous UN medical system/international medical experience is desirable.
Surgical, ICU, aeromedical or anesthetic experience is desirable
Experience in correctional/prison medicine is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals Medical Officer Jobs in Tanzania
Find jobs in Tanzania. Jobs - Tanzania jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Tanzanian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Tanzania.
Jobs in Tanzania - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Tanzania.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Tanzania posted and updated daily - click here!