IMPACT Initiatives Assessment Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
IMPACT Initiatives Assessment Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
Background on Impact and Reach
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT).
REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts.
REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS.
IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.ResponsabilitiesResearch Planning and Implementation
• Support the Senior Management team in identifying and materializing opportunities, in line with strategic directions of the mission;
• Ensure a streamlined, coordinated approach across all relevant research cycles to research design, methodology and tool development, data collection and analysis, and product drafting;
• Support in accurately estimating research cycle timelines and resources needed for research cycle implementation;
• Support Assessment teams in designing and implementing research cycle methodologies, tools, ToRs, data collection and analysis, product drafting;
• Ensure that research design, data collection and analysis and product drafting for all relevant research cycles comply to IMPACT’s requirements, guidelines and strategic direction;
• Monitor implementation of research cycles, identifying any major risks or issues, support team to resolve these challenges in line with IMPACT research standards and in close coordination with IMPACT HQ as relevant.
• Ensure that the applied methodology, analysis and products maximize the impact of the research cycles in line with the intended objectives;
• Support the identification, trainings and follow up of enumerators resources for primary data collection;
• Review of information products to ensure accuracy;
• Liaise with relevant assessment, GIS and data colleagues to ensure that their joint research benefits from a multi-disciplinay approach is effective spatial representation of assessment findings in maps or interactive web-portals, as relevant.Team Functional and Line-management
• Provide technical leadership throughout the Humanitarian Unit and relevant working groups in the Ethiopia in line with organization core value and principles;
• Provide functional oversight to relevant assessment staff, and produce joint skill development- and work plans with the relevant Research Manager(s) who are line-managing the staff in question;
• Where relevant, directly line-manage assessment, data or GIS staff that provide cross-cutting support to the entire mission;
• For staff under his/her functional responsibility, support to line managers by contributing to conduct of appraisals, provision of regular feedback, and participation in career management;
• For staff under direct line management, prepare and follow up work plans; conduct of appraisals, provision of regular feedback, and career management;
• For staff under direct line management, conduct regular team meetings to assess progress in relevant research cycles and to review work plan; ensure that all are comprehensively briefed on their objectives and expected outputs;Internal Knowledge Sharing, Learning and Capacity Building
• Identify capacity gaps, and resolve to bridge these through targeted capacity building, training, performance monitoring, and backstopping where needed;
• Support to the line managers and specialists in the development and implementation of capacity training plans for assessment and field team members;
• Conduct and support regular training to
country/regional teams, including regular updates on IMPACT guidelines, adapted (to context) training modules, learning on the job; Complement in house training material with external resources, if and as relevant;
• Ensure impact of trainings and progression of staff is monitored;
• Pro-actively provide regular technical support and backstopping to assessment teams;
• Support to Assessment / unit teams to systematically review the efficiency and quality of research cycles and information products;
• Support monitoring and evaluation for relevant Research Cycle, as specified in the research ToRs and in line with IMPACT Guidelines;
• Contribute to generating and documenting robust lessons learned at the end of relevant Research Cycle;
• Ensure knowledge and learning processes are shared across the mission/region
and with HQ;
• Able and available to engage with Global Units and global learning processes, such as methodology notes, lessons learn, Communities of Practice, etc;
• Continuously seek to improve and innovate IMPACT assessments, information products and processes to identify and meet information gaps in the Ethiopian humanitarian response in order to support in the facilitation of an evidence-based response;
• Work closely with other specialists in Ethiopia to develop, implement and monitor a multi-disciplinary training and learning plan for IMPACT teams;
• More generally, contributes to creating a culture of rigour, innovation and learning within IMPACT’s operations.Strategy, Program and Project Development
• Contribute to country, regional and unit strategies development with relevant technical and thematic contents;
• Ensure that assessment strategies are implemented in a structured and coherent manner in line with project and strategic objectives;
• Support the development/revision of assessment/programme strategies, reports, or new proposals.RequirementsAcademic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
Research skills Excellent research and analytical skills required, including a sound understanding of sampling frameworks and their application, an ability to analyse large data sets, as well as conduct temporal or spatial trend analysis.
Software skills Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Advanced skills in R, SPSS and/or STATA or other statistical analysis software are required. Experience with InDesign an asset.
Familiarity aid system Familiarity with the aid system in a complex humanitarian context.
Familiarity with the research community. Ability to read the context of operation, understanding of the risk of operating in a sensitive and prone-to-conflict environment.
Years of work experience At least 4 years of relevant working experience
Experience in Humanitarian sector Experience working in complex humanitarian crisis;
Training skills Ability to conduct trainings and mentor IMPACT teams and partners on assessment skills;
Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles;
Level of independence Strong existing ability to work independently in support of colleagues and partners;
Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility; ability to stay calm and focused while operating in a challenging environment.
Experience in geographical region Past experience in the Sub-Saharan or East Africa region is desirable;
Language skills Fluency in English required, competency in French an asset;
Security environment Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; IMPACT Initiatives Assessment Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!