Handicap International Federation Area Manager Jobs in Uganda
Handicap International Federation Area Manager Jobs in Uganda
Job Summary Under the responsibility of the Regional Program Director, the Area Manager contributes within the West Nile operations to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion.
He/she ensures optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the area, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms.
He/she shares with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes
The Area Manager is responsible for developing and implementing, in the area where he/she is based, the projects part of the Programme operational strategy.
Under the guidance of his/ her line management and other relevant departments, he/she deploys all adequate tools that will allow project monitoring, financial controlling and compliance with HI policies and frameworks (in particular HI Project Monitoring & Evaluation policy), and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors.
He/she contributes to monitor and analyse context developments in his/her geographical area, in order to identify operational risks and opportunities, and proposes actions to his / her line management.
He/she contributes to organizational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services and ROOTS projects.
He/she follows up security management, coordinate shared services and operations team on a daily basis to facilitate activities implementation
The position is based in Arua Town, with frequent travels to the project sites across West Nile (Yumbe, Obongi, Madi Okollo, Terego, Arua). .
The Job responsibilities include:
Be the manager (direct report) of the Project managers’ team in the area of assignment
• Foster a team spirit and team functioning guaranteeing synergies and exchange of good practices between the Project managers.
• Size and plan human resources needs of the projects in the Area.
• Recruit and contribute to the professional development, autonomy and well-being at work of the project managers: set formalized individual objectives, ensure coherence between HI’s needs and competencies and motivation of his/her teams, develop and monitor competence development plan, evaluate individual performance, contribute to career evolution.
• Acknowledge individual and collective efforts and performance.
• Embody and transmit HI values, ensure compliance with code of conduct and institutional policies, ensure the expected mind set and individual and collective behaviours, and disciplinary measures when necessary.
• Ensure good collaboration between project managers and support teams (technical and shared services, functional link), in order to facilitate project implementation in the area; conduct regular project reviews with project managers and relevant departments.
• Participate to the Programme Steering Committee conducted by the line manager when relevant.
Steer organization transformation, in particular through managerial and work practice change and continuous improvement of working processes
Contribution to the Programme’s Operational strategy and HI frameworks & regulations
Contribute to the development of the Programme’s Operational Strategy, and to its implementation and annual monitoring
• Contribute to the assessments of ongoing projects, contribution to context and sectorial analysis, contribution to fundraising strategy, to resource sizing, to M&E tool…
• Contribute, with his/her portfolio of projects and donors’ data, to the annual monitoring of the StratOp and to next year’s Programme planning (namely support missions and evaluations).
• In case of crisis/emergency, implement the framework and set-up as determined
Implement the project part of the Programme’s Operational Strategy:
• Size and plan necessary resources, recruit the project managers (ensure the fit between competencies and the projects’ challenges and ambitions), develop and monitor their competence development plan, in link with the corresponding professional channels and with Human Resources department.
• When relevant, develop regular contacts with current and potential donors at field level and liaise with line Manager to check coherence with overall Programming and fundraising strategy.
• Within the operational framework defined in the StratOp, identify and transform funding opportunities in the area of assignment, conduct the design and writing of new projects and contribute to the design, writing and fundraising of major multi-country projects
• In link with the Technical Unit, identify and develop local partnerships and/or consortia with NGOs, institutions, companies; on technical priorities or important topics in the area.
the deployment of and compliance with HI global frameworks, institutional policies and standards.
• These include: the mandatory reference frameworks (such as HI Mission & Values or HI Theory of Change: Access to services), all HI's institutional policies (Security / Code of Conduct and Safeguarding / Bribery prevention / PME and Project Quality Framework / Age-Gender-Disability), all institutional directives and processes; delegation thresholds; security levels…
Ensure sound management and monitoring of projects under his/her responsibility:
• In link with the Technical Unit and the MEAL Unit, ensure that HI technical quality standards are applied in the projects, and monitor the implementation of recommendations from support missions, evaluations and donor audits.
• Ensure compliance with project donors’ rules and regulations, including visibility.
• With the support of the MEAL Unit, deploy all adequate tools that will allow financial control and project monitoring, compliance with HI policies and frameworks, and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors: consolidation, control and reporting to the line Manager of operational and organizational elements (dashboards and corrective measures, unrestricted funds consumption, beneficiaries data…).
• Facilitate internal audits (operational, financial and organizational), and ensure the implementation of their recommendations on his/her responsibility area
With both operational opportunities and risks in mind, contribute to the monitoring and analysis made by the line Manager, and propose mitigation measures when relevant
In link with the line Manager, implement analysis and monitoring of risks & opportunities related to HI presence and activities; implement risk mitigation actions at his/her level
Support the Regional Program Director in monitoring the security of the program and ensure internal resources for employees according to the context
• Develop a network of contacts with security/context staff of fellow INGOs, represent HI in access, security and safety meetings
• Provide feedback and advice on security risks, as well as on security management resources, such as SOPs, and proposals
• In collaboration with the Regional Program Director and Senior Management Team, update the security and contingency plans according to the evolution of the context
• Support the Regional Program Director on exploratory mission assessments, identification of office/guesthouses, and the opening of new areas
• Assist the Regional Program Director in sensitizing HI staff (national and international) to security risks and ensuring the understanding and implementation of security documents 3. Influence
Develop external influence of HI and the external representation of the organization his/her responsibilities area
• he messages of HI global advocacy to all relevant external parties.
• Develop Can represent HI vis-à-vis local, national, traditional, political, military and diplomatic authorities and bodies; and international organizations and coordination mechanisms & system.
• Relay local partnerships, in link with the line Manager.
• Proven managerial experience;
• Proven representation experience;
• Strong communication skills;
• Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
• English mandatory (oral and written),
• Strong writing and reporting skills
• At least 5-7 years of professional experience in humanitarian or development contexts, preferably in the management of complex refugee responses;
• At least 5 years of experience in a similar position
• Knowledge of donor strategies and procedures;
• Knowledge of all aspects of project management
• Previous security management experience mandatory;
• Previous field office management experience is a strong asset;
• Previous working experience with Humanity & Inclusion is a strong asset;
How to Apply
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter as One Document to HR department at:
email@example.com indicating Application for Area Manager not later than 5:00pm on Saturday 31st October 2020.
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.