First Quantum Minerals Engineer, Telecommunications Jobs in Zambia
First Quantum Minerals Engineer, Telecommunications Jobs in Zambia
Job Details: At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Telecommunications Engineer supports the maintenance and installation of mining systems used in optimization, pit communication, and fatigue management. Driving the use of information systems in mine maintenance, KPI reporting, and maintenance optimization are key functions of the specialist.
Specific Job Responsibility
• Responsible for on-boarding of all new mining systems in the mobile mining equipment including trucks, shovels, drills, loaders, and other ancillary equipment.
• Mesh Networks: Manage the new installations of all fixed and mobile access points in the mining area using the Rajant radios deployed in kinetic mesh technology; provide support on resolving complex problems and manage optimization and upgrade projects relating to mesh network infrastructure both on the backbone and access level; provide guidance and training to the technicians on new technologies relating to the mesh network
• Motorola 2-way radio networks: Manage the installations of all wireless radios on mobile mining equipment; manages all new installation projects and support tasks for the Motorola two-way radio system; Plan and develop strategies for optimization and upgrading of the two-way radio network; Configure new hand held and base radios for on the network; Assist in development of two-way radio user guidelines and policy for the company.
• Dispatch: Develops and plans the escalation and support process for dispatch system from modular mining systems; Maintain and manage the hardware components of Dispatch, ProVision and MineCare; Provides guidelines on new hardware installations relating to Modular mining systems.
• HPGPS and LPGPS Systems: Configure and provide support for PTXBs and PTXCs installed on the mine mobile equipment; Provide guidance and analysis for resolution of application problems relating to dispatch and ProVision
• Minecare and Modular Systems: Generate weekly and monthly reports on the status of the hardware run
• Safety Systems: Design, integrate and implement new mining systems solutions such safety Cameras for 360 degrees’ view and DSS fatigue management system.
• Liaise with the OEM/Vendors/Contractors of wireless telecommunications equipment
• Manage spares of various telecommunication systems used in mine systems
• Monitor network performance, capacity and trends for both the two-way radio and mesh networks
• Create and document relevant network standards and processes
• Develop and create a framework for networks, systems and process documentation and applicable relevant standards.
Experience & Qualifications
• Previous experience working with Minecare, Modular, Rajant networks, Motorolla 2-way radio systems
or similar systems. Experience in Tyresense and Caterpillar Driver Safety Systems is an added advantage.
• Previous experience in project/ maintenance management.
• Proven Competence in: VPNs (MPLS, PPP, IPsec, PPTP); Access lists; Switching including CoS 802.1P, VLAN 802.1Q; Firewalls; Monitoring tools (Net flow, Nagios
• etc.); VOIP (principles, codecs, fault finding); Testing and fault finding on LAN/WAN architectures; TCP/IP, DNS, SNMP; GSM, 3G (HSDPA etc.); Test procedures and Quality assurance; PCs and Networking.
• SQL, Microsoft Access and Office experience
• Valid Driver’s license
• Must have a Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering with Telecommunications Specialization.
• A qualification in Project Management is an advantage.
Job Specific Competencies
• Ability to communicate and execute the maintenance strategy.
• Leads safety briefings and enforces company safety policy.
• Assists break down crews to troubleshoot major breakdowns.
• Train new team members and mentor supervisors.
• Constantly improves knowledge of telecommunication systems
• Ability to communicate maintenance challenges and accurately predict maintenance durations.
• Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliances.
• Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/ injuries in a timely manner to the coordinator in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting.
• Follow reasonable instructions given by superiors
• Keep detailed and accurate maintenance reports and documentation.
• Able to find and drive machine improvement campaigns.
• Able to discipline crew members who show a lack of commitment and do not adhere to company policy.
Key Job Attributes
• Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
• Possesses good organizational skills
• Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
• Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
• Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
• Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
• Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
• Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
• The ability and drive to manage maintenance work group in a technically challenging and geographically remote maintenance environment.
• Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English.
• Knowledge and understanding of diverse third world cultures and customs an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; First Quantum Minerals Engineer, Telecommunications Jobs in Zambia
Find daily jobs in Zambia. Jobs - Zambia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Zambian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Zambia.
Jobs in Zambia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Zambia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Zambia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.