Economic Commission for Africa Senior Administrative Assistant Jobs in Rwanda
Economic Commission for Africa Senior Administrative Assistant Jobs in Rwanda
Org. Setting and Reporting ECA's mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 SDGs and Agenda 2063.
The mission is guided by ECA's five strategic directions which are: advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Sub-regional Office for East Africa (SRO-EA) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The Senior Administrative Assistant will work under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Administrative and Finance Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources Management:
• Coordinates various actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures. Liaises with central administration/executive services as required.
• Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Report and follow up on post incumbency for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control
• Support end-to-end implementation of recruitment processes (includes initiation the hiring process, recruitment planning, advising on Job Openings, etc.)
• Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
• Provides information and advice to staff/ consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
• Assess staff training needs and encourage them to participate as well as other human resources related activities.
Budget and Finance:
• Assists in monitoring budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grant and other funds on a regular basis, and suggests reallocations of resources and implements the reallocations as necessary.
• Reviews, analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from departments/offices at headquarters and in the field, including programmatic aspects; ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
• Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
• Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility. Support in creating a positive work environment by enhancing good communication, team building to bring a collaborative spirit among GS staff members;
• Review Division correspondences and Note verbal to ensure a high standard of quality, grammar and formatting and their compliance with UN and Protocol requirements
• Centrally maintain the database of the Division's counterparts and partners contacts
• Identifies and resolves diverse issues/problems as they arise and determines appropriate actions.
• Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
• Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organize and coordinate seminars, conferences and translations).
• Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
• Audits the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
• Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments.
• Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
• Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job - Specific Qualification
Passing the UN's Global General Services Test (GGST) is required. Please refer to the Special Notice section for additional information about the GGST.
A minimum of 10 years of experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
Work experience with an Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) system, such as Umoja or a similar system, is desirable.
Experience handing sensitive and confidential information is desirable.
Experience in supervising staff or work of others in a diverse multinational and multicultural environment is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Senior Administrative Assistant Jobs in Rwanda
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.