Economic Commission for Africa Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Support Jobs in Ethiopia
Economic Commission for Africa Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Support Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting ECA's mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 SDGs and Agenda 2063.
The mission is guided by ECA's five new strategic directions which are: advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
The incumbent works under direct supervision of the Executive Secretary and in close collaboration with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Programme).
Within delegated authority, the Deputy Executive Secretary will be responsible for the following functions:
• Assists the Executive Secretary in the planning, coordination, direction and management of the programme support functions of ECA in support of its mandate to promote economic and technical cooperation for economic and social development of member states.
• Contributes to the implementation of the Commission's mandate by coordinating the work of the Publications Conference, and Knowledge Management Division and the Division of Administration, and providing the necessary managerial, logistical and administrative support required for the fulfilment of the mandate, including such areas as human resources management, program budget and finance, Supply Chain Management, Knowledge management, etc.
• Advises the Executive Secretary on all matters pertaining to human resources management, and administrative support and its work with other institutions.
• Plans, organizes, implements, manages and oversees the activities of all administrative and programme support operations.
• Provides effective management of human, financial and material resources of the Commission.
• Identifies broad strategies required for the development and implementation of the Commission's work programme.
• Ensures development, preparation, coordination and monitoring of overall work plans, strategies and programmes for the programme support activities of the Commission and takes the lead in securing the required human and financial resources for the Commission.
• Establishes a set of sound policies, procedures, practices, standards and tools that are consistent with UN regulations, rules, policies and practice in order to ensure proper budget, accounting, financial and human resources management and control.
• Liaises, negotiates and coordinates with national authorities with respect to administrative and programme support matters.
• Works with the Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme to ensure that the human resources requirements and staff are aligned with the overall priorities of the organisation.
• Provide additional support to the Executive Secretary and act as the point person on all matters related to the United Nations reforms with support from the Strategic Planning, Oversight and Results Division.
• Contributes and supports ECA's think tank and research functions.
• Act as Chairperson of the various standing and ad-hoc interdivisional management support committees established by the Executive Secretary.
• Ensures the provision of guidance, performance evaluation, supervision and mentoring to all administrative support and other staff in the areas of his/her responsibility.
• Maintains good order and discipline of staff under his/her overall supervision.
• Represents the Commission before legislative bodies, providing information and clarification in support of budget proposals.
• Represents the Executive Secretary at meetings, protocol and ceremonial occasions, etc. Performs related duties as may be required by the Executive Secretary, e.g., provides briefing to visiting senior officials on mission, administrative and technical support activities, etc.
• Performs other related work as required by the Executive Secretary.
Professionalism: Ability to provide seasoned effective specialized advice in a broad range of human resources, financial, logistical, and administrative areas to the Executive Secretary, and to Headquarters and senior ECA staff; ability to ensure
adequate preparation of reports or rationale with respect to key logistic and administrative decisions; strong negotiation and conflict-resolution skills. Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility of delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in business or public administration, human resources management, finance, accounting, social science or related area is required.
A PhD in the specified or other related areas is an advantage. A first-level university degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in the specified fields with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Over fifteen years of experience in administration, budget, financial management, logistics, information technology, communication or related field is required.
Demonstrated experience in managing organizational budgets, operations, procurement and supply chain management is required.
Experience in dealing with audit matters, including working with auditors and developing audit reports is desirable.
Experience in management of development programmes in the context of Africa is desirable.
Experience in handling a multidisciplinary portfolio of tasks and duties is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French is required. Knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Support Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.