Economic Commission for Africa Administrative Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Economic Commission for Africa Administrative Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting
ECA's mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2063. The mission is guided by ECA's five new strategic directions which are: Advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Office of the Director, Division of Administration (DoA), Economic Commission for Africa, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It encompasses sub-functional specialties such as finance, human resource administration, planning, monitoring, programming/budgeting, and implementing, monitoring and evaluation of business functions. The Administrative Officer reports directly to the Director, Division of Administration.Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:Human Resource Management
• Initiates and coordinates actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Provides expert advice with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
• Represents the Department/Unit at Departmental Panels and appointment bodies.
• Reviews post incumbency reports for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control.Budget and Finance
• Coordinates the preparation and implementation of the work program and budget to ensure compatibility with work priorities and objectives, taking into account the most effective use of resources.
• Initiates and conducts studies to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
• Monitors and controls budgetary allocations through regular reviews; drafts routine and ad hoc outputs; and provides effective monitoring reports and data. Identifies deviations from plans and proposes corrective measures.
• Establishes and maintains a set of sound policies, procedures, standards, and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.General Administration
• Implements and monitors support services that are under the purview of the director of administration including services to UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes covering a range of operational topics (procurement/supply chain, transport, travel and traffic, communications, engineering, information technology support, facilities management, medical services, construction projects; and provision of local utilities and service requirements).
• Develops and implements operational plans and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Supervises a staff team and/or provide advice to others on human resource administration, financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
• Produces the monthly, quarterly, and yearly performance reports of the division of administration.
• Prepares background documents, notes for the file, power point presentations, briefing notes and talking points to all meetings the Director needs to attend as well as ensure the timely and qualitative drafting of documents and other written papers.
• Produces major/complex reports for the director of administration and management.
• Provides expert guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
• Performs other related duties as required, e.g., HQ related initiatives, Joint Inspection Unit, Operations Management Team, International Civil Service Commission, Management Evaluation Unit, management reform (common back office), audit, reviews of Secretariat offices and departments at headquarters/missions, operational travel programme, adequacy of departmental space requirements, and technology
• On matters requiring the Director’s involvement and/or decision, presents and summarizes the relevant issues, pertinent facts, potential risks and implications, and identify the key actors who need to be involved or consulted in collaboration with section chiefs.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provides insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other related work as required.Work implies frequent interaction with the following:Staff within the Division, and other Divisions within ECA.
Human resource, administrative, accounting staff in missions/offices and Headquarters.
Counterparts in other UN agencies. Operations Management Team. Security. Business continuity. Risk Management. Supply Chain.
Staff in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance and the Department of Operational Support.
Achieves the Division of Administration goals and objectives through providing high-level support with respect to a range of complex human resource, planning, work programming, budget and financial management tasks which substantially impact significant administrative activities of the work unit.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in administration, operations management, finance, data analytics, business analytics, management information systems, or related areas is required.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Economic Commission for Africa Administrative Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!