Church World Service Best Interest Determinations (BID) Specialist - Jobs in Tanzania
Church World Service Best Interest Determinations (BID) Specialist - Jobs in Tanzania
Position Title: Best Interest Determinations (BID) Specialist
Reports To: ARDU Supervisor or Manager
Division : Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Programs, Africa Regional Deployment Unit (ARDU)
Job Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
Grade Level: Grade 6, Specialist, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Primary Purpose: This is a full time position within ARDU which strategically utilizes temporary CWS RSC deployments to UNHCR offices with the goal of increasing referrals and managing cases in the pipeline for the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) in Africa. CWS RSC Africa works with UNHCR to assist in identifying and preparing Best Interest Determination (BID) and Best Interest Assessment (BIA) reports for unaccompanied and separated children, with the goal of identifying durable solutions for them, including resettlement through the USRAP. The primary function of the BID Specialist is to support the goals of ARDU through these temporary deployments throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Tasks to be completed by the BID Specialist while on deployment in UNHCR offices will be determined in the Terms of Reference (TOR) awarded to them prior to the commencement of each deployment.Essential Duties:The BID Specialist will be expected to:
1. Travel on deployments to UNHCR and other referring agencies’ offices on short notice, including to refugee camps.
2. Complete all duties in accordance with ARDU and UNHCR Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including country-specific resettlement, confidential case management protocols, and (child) protection guidelines of the deployment location.
3. Monitor outstanding cases, make assessments and follow-up with relevant UNHCR units and/ or Child Protection partners to ensure smooth processing of referral submissions.
4. Analyze all information and interview unaccompanied and separated refugee children whilst conducting home visits for the purpose of preparing BID reports and presenting them to a BID panel.
5. Contribute towards identifying resettlement cases, compiling interview lists, scheduling interviews, as well as carrying out resettlement interviews with the goal of completing UNHCR Resettlement Registration Forms (RRFs) for review.
6. Complete and update all case files and database records per UNHCR guidelines.
7. Maintain updated knowledge of current refugee situations, with an emphasis on child refugee populations, served in sub-Saharan Africa.
8. Be available, whilst on deployment, to answer any specific technical questions raised by UNHCR or CWS RSC Africa colleagues regarding USRAP processing.
9. Actively participate as a member of the UNHCR team and comply with UNHCR’s security requirements.
10. Undertake additional work-related duties as agreed upon by ARDU management, UNHCR Supervisor and the BID Specialist.
11. Ensure that ARDU staff resources such as current practices and approaches in Child Protection (Best Interests Procedure Guidelines) processing are updated.
12. Communicate challenges related to casework, logistics and relationship with partners to ARDU Management in a timely manner.
13. Submit regular reports to ARDU management to document progress against deployment goals and objectives.
14. Contribute to the development of deployment training topics, procedures and implementation.
15. Undertake additional assigned duties while in the field or at the CWS RSC Africa office to support ARDU and CWS RSC Africa, including administrative tasks.
16. Any other duties as assigned.Qualifications:Experience:
• Five (5) year’s work experience required
• Eighteen (18) months of related experience in child protection or child welfare is required.
• Previous confidential case management experience, including use of age-appropriate and gender-sensitive interview techniques is required.
• Experience working in a child protection framework is required. USRAP casework experience is desirable.
• Four (4) years relevant work experience is preferred.Skills:
• Thorough and demonstrated knowledge of international child protection frameworks and UNHCR Best Interests Procedure Guidelines.
• Demonstrated knowledge of UNHCR/ USRAP resettlement processes.
• Excellent interviewing and counseling skills.
• Excellent drafting,
writing and analytical skills.
• Excellent spoken and written English; secondary language skills in Kiswahili, French or any other African regional language preferred.
• Previous assessment/ monitoring and evaluation skills preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
• Strong computer skills, in particular with Microsoft Office applications.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Education & Certifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in social work, social sciences, law (or a related field of study), or four (4) years additional work experience in a similar field required, in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
• Master’s degree in a related field of study is preferredAbilities:The BID Specialist must have the ability to:
• Conduct BID/ BIA assessments and identify protection needs of refugee children.
• Work effectively with partners and in team settings.
• Travel within sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and sometimes under difficult conditions, including to refugee camps.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of CWS RSC Africa.
• Maintain a high performance standard with meticulous attention to detail.
• Carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision.
• Work independently and contribute to overall operations of CWS RSC Africa.
• Maintain strict confidentiality with CWS RSC Africa administrative and operational information.
• Manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
• Work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation.
• Demonstrate leadership, take initiative in the development and completion of projects.
• Analyze, solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
•Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).Important Requirements:
•Have strong English communication skills, both written and oral;
•Work in a multi-cultural environment;
•Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform onRacial Justice as a CWS employee required.Special Requirements:
•COVID-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates.
•This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya/Kampala, Uganda/Pretoria, South Africa
•This position requires use of laptops at all time, therefore competence in Microsoft office packagesis required.
•This position may require travel throughout sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and undersometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
•A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment isrequired, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
•The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficultconditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must obtain a Certificate of Good Health from arecognized hospital before the start of deployment to UNHCR and have proof of Yellow Fevervaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
•Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check isrequired before the start of employment.
•Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing,walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, usingfine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
•Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changesin temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long workhours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
•This is a full-time position.
•All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remotework arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding theCOVID-19 pandemic.How to apply
For more information and job application details, see; Church World Service Best Interest Determinations (BID) Specialist Jobs in Tanzania Find daily jobs in Tanzania. Jobs - Tanzania jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Tanzanian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Tanzania.
Jobs in Tanzania - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Tanzania.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Tanzania posted and updated daily - click here!