Chengelo School General Maintenance Foreman Jobs in Zambia
Chengelo School General Maintenance Foreman Jobs in Zambia The General Maintenance Foreman will be responsible for the supervision of general maintenance and repair of school facilities such as buildings, workshop and grounds.
He/she will be the sole person responsible for performing record keeping, receipt and issuance duties in the Building and Maintenance storeroom.
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Site Manager
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: work closely with the Heads of School and Ndubaluba, Site Supervisors and the Human Resources department .
The General Maintenance Foreman plays a valuable witness for pupils as a ‘witness to the light’ modelling key biblical principals in the running of Chengelo from good stewardship, to accountability, integrity and honesty.
They play a valuable link between the Site Manager and the workers and have a daily opportunity to witness to the ethos and values of Chengelo.
Support for the local churches will help to broaden the scope for spiritual growth amongst the workers.
The duties will include;
• Under the direction of the Site Manager, leading skilled/ semi-skilled and general maintenance workers engaged in maintenance and repairs, plumbing, heating, electrical, mechanical, painting and other school equipment by planning, laying out, and coordinating duties to subordinates; checking periodically to assure established specifications are met.
• Ensure that all maintenance requests are attended to professionally and promptly.
• Carry out planned and reactive maintenance in and around the school and garden
• Areas as directed by the Site Manager.
• Ensure that all works are completed in a professional and timely manner and that quality standards are met.
• Ensure day to day up keep of the school including emptying of bins, maintaining gardens – Edging, trimming, lawn mowing and watering.
• Prepares work reports concerning types of repairs made, materials used, and cost of completed work assignments
• Involved in leading worker’s morning devotions
• Be in charge of the storeroom which receives, stores and issues a variety of general items, with responsibility for maintaining security of the area.
• Responsible for the allocation of stock to jobs done so that jobs are carefully monitored and controlled to deliver cost efficiency
• Check stock against purchase authorization for agreement as to quantities, descriptions, sizes, conditions and conformance to purchase orders.
• Issue stock as requested on requisitions by checking items against stock levels on hand, suggesting substitutes when necessary, and obtaining appropriate signatures on requisitions.
• Conduct cyclic, special and other inventories of bin and bulk stock.
The General Maintenance Foreman will;
• Ensure that all pupils are seen as the children of God, precious in his sight.
• Ensure that in workers and staff matters the protection of children is taken as the highest priority.
• All duties should be carried out in line with the school’s Child protection & Safeguarding Policies and Practices.
• All workers on site must be checked and supervised
• The GMF must be aware of the appropriate risk assessments for the job being done and should contribute to risk assessments.
Chengelo requires high levels of collaborative work to function effectively. All staff are expected to work as part of a team, helping to encourage one another. The General Maintenance Foreman is expected to:
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality with regard to information obtained through his role
• Work closely with the Site Manager to build a strong Site team
• Development of workforce –supporting training & upskilling strategically with Site Manager.
• Develop effective professional relationships with colleagues, knowing how and when to draw on advice and specialist support
• Effective communication with a broad range of other staff, clinic, classroom, hostel, pastoral and academic managers and senior managers to ensure pupils are properly cared for, and systems are maintained.
• Attending department meetings and staff meetings
• Fellowshipping with, praying with, pastorally caring for fellow colleagues, is an integral part of the community life.
The General Maintenance Foreman will work with the Site Manager to;
• Assist to coordinate daily tasks according to priorities and plans, adjusting as necessary due to weather, supply delivery, and personnel
• Develop and oversee quality standards on site
• Monitor and manage project budgets
• Report project status to Site Manager
• Ensure an inventory of materials and equipment is maintained
• Purchasing orders must be approved by the site manager and finance manager, and follow the school finance policy.
• In regards to the ethos, values, vision, or policy of the school all public statements need to be approved by the Principal.
• The GMF must not accept any reward, financial or otherwise for orders purchased for the school.
Education and Experience
Graduation from a standard high school and considerable experience in the building trades and stores management, including responsible supervisory experience in building maintenance and repair work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of inventory of materials, building maintenance and construction practices and methods.
• Ability to plan and direct the work of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
• Ability to read and interpret blue-prints, sketches, and detailed drawings.
• Ability to inspect building maintenance and construction work for adherence to plans, specifications, and work orders.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates and other staff.
How to Apply
Submit your CV to
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Zambia.