AkiraChix Accountant Jobs in Kenya
AkiraChix Accountant Jobs in Kenya
About AkiraChix: AkiraChix exists to build the world’s leading African female technology talent. Technology in Africa, over the past ten years, has seen a significant increase in innovation which has resulted in access to information, financial inclusion and enterprise through mobile phone technology use and coverage.
But despite this, the continent’s economic growth has stalled. Considered the youngest continent, over 20% of Africa’s population is aged 15 -24 years, and it is positioned perfectly to revitalise this economic growth.
This is only possible if African governments invest in proper education and job creation. According to the World Economic Forum, if African governments do invest in their youth this can inject USD 500 billion
annually to its economies over the next 30 years.
But that can only happen if the growing dangers of youth unemployment on the continent
is mitigated. This is especially necessary in the case of women who lag behind men by
10% according to the International Labour Organisation.
For governments to do this they need a public and private sector intervention. AkiraChix is a social enterprise which exists to play an integral role to ensure generations of African women not only get out of a cycle of poverty and unemployment but also take the lead as global tech innovators. Innovators who provide customised solutions for their
communities to end the cycle of poverty and bolster economic growth.
AkiraChix plays a significant role in inclusive and equitable education, gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, and inclusive and sustainable employment
and decent work for all, as prescribed in the Sustainable Development Goals 4, 5 and 8
Be the leading source of African female technology talent for the world.
Provide the most promising young women in Africa, technology and entrepreneurial skills
to compete economically and bridge the gender gap in tech.
Our flagship program codeHive, is a one year fully funded hands-on technical training
program that provides education and economic opportunity to young women between
the ages of 18-24 from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds. We target those
that have completed high school but due to financial constraints are unable to further
their education. This program aims to develop their capacity and skills in software
development (for both mobile and web applications), hardware & product design, graphic design, entrepreneurship, life skills, communication skills, and professional development.
AkiraChix currently has 6 full-time employees and 10 part-time trainers in the faculty. In the last 10 years, we have trained 237 young women with 85% of our alumni securing
jobs in the IT industry, and others starting their own businesses. A large part of our
alumni are community leaders and innovators in projects that have improved the lives of
their community members. In line with our Strategy, AkiraChix has increased its impact
by scaling the codeHive program in Kenya ,Uganda and Rwanda. To scale in Kenya, we
have established a campus located in Nairobi with residential facilities with participants
hailing from over twenty counties and with a goal of reaching all 47 counties. This has
increased the number of students joining codeHive from 52 in past years to 72 in 2021!
About the role;
The Accountant is responsible for the finance and administration section of AkiraChix.
The Accountant is expected to provide sound financial advice and effective financial
management as well as manage administrative functions of the organization. This
position is a full time, regular position working closely with the management team being
led by the Managing Director of the Organization.
Financial management - 75%
● Ensure financial compliance of organizational policies and local regulatory frameworks.
● Support and take lead in the budgeting process, developing budget instructions,
templates and consolidating submitted financial plans for review by management.
● Help develop donor budgets for new proposals following proposal guidelines and template
● Track the budget, ensuring variances are kept to an acceptable minimal
● Monitor and control organization cash flow requirements and cash security to ensure the smooth implementation of all policies and donor financial requirements.
Provide management with timely financial status reports, including variance analysis, raising a flag where significant variances are observed and provide necessary recommendations.
● Submit timely and accurate monthly financial reports to the Managing director
● Prepare timely donor financial reports
● Manage cash request process
● Handle procurement and ensure quarterly procurement schedules are aligned to budgets.
● Ensure proper management of bank accounts and that bank reconciliations are prepared on time
● Ensure financial records are kept up to date in the organization’s QuickBooks and are accurately captured and coded.
● Undertake regular audits and spot checks
● Manage debtors and creditors
● Ensure cheque books and receipts are properly accounted for and kept in safe and secure custody
● Should be able to do proper payroll management and remittance of all Tax related
transactions, statutory payments and documentation (Manage tax returns i.e.
PAYE, WHT, NSSF, NHIF)
● Prepare documents and schedules for annual audit, and liaises with auditors.
● Review and update the finance manual as and when needed.
Administration - 25%
● Maintains personnel files, health benefits and other insurances updated.
● Maintain basic administrative systems for the organization, including information
resources, general filing, electronic filing, personnel records, contracts and leases,
● Ensure that all organization assets are in good condition and with active insurance
and where necessary organize for repairs
Who we are looking for
● You have a bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance, Economics or related
discipline from an accredited university.
● You hold CPA (K) or ACCA and are members of a recognized professional accounting body such as ICPAK.
● You have experience in managing donor funded organizations/philanthropies and if not, you are open to learning.
● You have good analytical and conceptual skills to plan and monitor budgets against
● You have good computer skills, including top notch experience using the Financial Software package (QuickBooks), Google Drive, Slack, Emails and open to learning other collaboration tools
● You have a learning mindset, and you are curious and resourceful in your approach to new situations
● You have a positive attitude and are open to learning as well as open to talking about your weaknesses and mistakes
● You love collaboration, are a good listener and possess excellent communication and people skills
● You have strong integrity and are able to instil and maintain high ethical standards
across an organization.
● You are self-directing, anticipate issues and are organized around meeting your
short and long-term goals
● You ask for help and support and know how to pull in experts where needed to achieve your goals.
● You are tech savvy and easily accommodate innovation in your work, eg mobile
money and internet banking.
Why work with us?
Mission & Impact: We believe in and work hard towards creating a future where
girls and women imagine and build technology that will mirror the people and societies for which they build . You are part of opening up life-changing opportunities for our students.
Career Development: We support the development of skills and leadership in our
employees. We support each other’s growth
Benefits: We believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer
healthcare cover, flexible leave days and flexible working hours.
Self Care: We go the extra mile to support our codeHive students, but we also take
time to rejuvenate, reenergize and have fun. We put our gears on neutral for the
month of December to spend time resting after a year of hard work.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; AkiraChix Accountant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.