African Union Head - Medical Support Services Jobs in Ethiopia
African Union Head - Medical Support Services Jobs in Ethiopia
• Responsible for the overall supervision and management of the Division as well as the design of strategies and policies. Lead Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and
Laboratory Units. ProjectMain Functions
• Manage the work of the Division and supervise direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
• Design strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Contribute to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
• Manage risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
• Design and plan policy programs to achieve the strategies;
• Develop new and review activities as components of the strategies and policies;
• Address problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
• Engage stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
• Represent the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
• Mobilise funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
• Contribute to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
• Create an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.Specific Responsibilities
• Supervise and manage the employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
• Design strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
• Prioritize Medical programs and priorities, set the direction for Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units respectively.
• Coordinate the activities of the different Units to support the expert clinical care of MHSD clients.
• Represent the Department in all meetings related to health issues and report back on issues discussed and on action required to the immediate supervisor.
• Ensure overall management of the Division; including performance, quality assurance, staff issues and budget related matters of all units under him/ her.
• Provide substantive input into the recruitment of Division/MHSD staff as required.
• Set performance standards for self and staff, conduct performance appraisals on schedule and resolve intra unit conflicts.Tasks
• Produce and submit periodic reports on activities and specific missions.
• To participate in upgrading the AU Medical and Health Services Directorate in respect of Equipment, Diagnostic technologies and Continuous Medical Education.
• Oversee the continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff and training of Clinical Attaches and Interns within the Division.
• Participate in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
• To participate in various programs of AU Medical Services Directorate in respect to technical advice to AU Regional Offices, Organs and AU Field Missions.
• Ensures overall management of the Division; budget management, monitoring, analysis, evaluation of staff performance, grievance and progressive discipline, and fiscal needs in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his immediate supervisor.Academic Requirements
• Candidates must have a Degree in Medicine with Master’s degree in one the following fields: Radiology, Laboratory or Pharmacy.
• Must be a Member of a professional Regional College of Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Ten (10) years work experience, including 5 years as Head of Department.
• Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Specialist in Laboratory Medicine/ Radiologist/
Pharmacologist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of
• Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
• Documented training in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.Required Skills
• A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
• Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
• Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
• Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
• Working knowledge in the areas of policy analysis, and program / project management;
• Experience in management, excellent ability to facilitate interpersonal relationships, the ability to organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
• Excellent ability in the drafting, reporting and presentation skills.
• Good skills in planning and organization
• Sound scientific communication abilities as evidenced by scientific /other publications.
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.Leadership Competencies
• Strategic Perspective: - Is aware of the projected directions of trends (e.g., social, technological, etc.) and how changes might impact the organization and continuously reviews and revises plan to address longterm issues and opportunities affecting the team.
• Developing others: - Supports the development of the team through performance management,
coaching and feedback.Requirements
• Change Management: - Creates an environment that fosters change creativity in others and gains commitment for change from staff. Actively looks for opportunity in uncharted territory.
• Managing Risk: - Makes and implements decisions in ambiguous/ risky situations or where information is incomplete and outcome is unknown. Takes calculated risks in pursuing new and cutting-edge ideas that will enhance a project.Core Competencies
• Building Relationship: - Establishes a broad network of contacts that enables the individual to gather information and encourage others to establish a chain of influence and utilise the strengths and abilities of stakeholders.
• Foster Accountability Culture: - Makes decisions, sets priorities or chooses goals on the basis of calculated inputs and outputs; makes explicit considerations of potential return-on investment or cost-benefit analysis of outcomes.
• Learning Orientation: - Promotes and role models ongoing learning and development through
establishing mechanisms to facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing in the business area. Creates relevant on-the-job learning and stretch opportunities for people in the division.
• Communicating with impact: - Uses personal rather than positional power to influence and motivate others to achieve results even those over whom they have no line authority.Functional Competencies
• Conceptual Thinking: - Uses several analytical or creative techniques to break apart complex problems into component problems or issues. Draws on complex learned concepts when examining patterns or trends and recognizes underlying issues/implications of decisions or courses of action.
• Job Knowledge Sharing: - Champions knowledge sharing to enable continuous learning and knowledge creation. Identifies opportunities to deliver value through improved information management.
• Drive for Result: - Makes decisions, sets priorities or chooses goals on the basis of calculated inputs and outputs and analyzes for relevant departmental/ and or organizational outcomes.
• Foster Innovation: - Improves performance by taking actions that may be unique, leading-edge or new to the organization/ department or directorate. Takes calculated risks in trying something new.NoteThe requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an asneeded basis.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; African Union Head - Medical Support Services Jobs in Ethiopia