Through testing new models, these bold and visionary leaders will be equipped to shape Africa’s future for the better.
The scholarships are aimed at supporting mid-career professionals and entrepreneurs who have shown a commitment to local development.
These scholarships were created for African leaders for whom a post-graduate qualification is an integral part of their continued journey toward building a better world.
Our scholars are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action.
While scholars are distinct in their professional goals and ambitions and hail from all over Africa, they are united in their common goal: to have a significant impact in the world.
Scholarships are open to candidates applying to either the Masters in Business Administration or Masters of Philosophy in Inclusive Innovation at the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business.
Our scholarships are made possible through the generous support of our industry partner, MTN Group.
MTN Scholarships for Africans Eligibility
To be considered for a MTN Scholarship:
1. Applicants must be a citizen of an African country and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
2. Applicants should apply to pursue either the MBA or the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the UCT GSB. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme. For full details about the MBA programme or MPhil programme, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here
3. Financial Need Criteria
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
MTN Scholarships for Africans - Scholar Characteristics
MTN Scholars are known for their professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and track record of action.
What this means to us is:
How to Apply for the MTN Scholarships for Africans
It is not possible to apply for a MTN Scholarship without applying to the business school.
Applicants must first be eligible and apply for the academic programme at the UCT GSB (via the Admissions Office).
Applicants must submit the MTN Scholarship Application online form together with their UCT application number received from the UCT GSB Admissions Office. Required supporting documents include a CV and completed Affidavit.
Applicants are then notified if they are selected for an interview.
The final decision and award of the MTN Scholarship will be made by a Scholarship selection panel, following which applicants will be informed by mid December 2017.
Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit all documents required so they can be considered for both admission and a MTN Scholarship.
Selection Criteria for the MTN Scholarships for Africans
The following criteria apply in the selection of MTN Scholars.
1. Applicant has started or worked in an entrepreneurial venture, or demonstrated entrepreneurial and innovative strategies within an organisation for at least one year. Applicants should be able to demonstrate experience or strong interest in their chosen focus area (education, health, smart cities). A track record of exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors is preferable.
2. Applicants must demonstrate professional integrity, bold and visionary leadership, a spirit of innovation and inquisitiveness, active collaboration, entrepreneurial drive and a track record of action.
3. Applicants must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a venture, which makes self-funding the programme a significant burden.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications.
The University of Cape Town reserves the right to change the conditions of award or to make no awards at all.
The successful candidate will be required to:
Value of MTN Scholarships for Africans
An MTN Scholarship is awarded for one or maximum of two years and covers the full cost of tuition and registration fees at UCT GSB, as set by the business school.
The Scholars can also apply for several types of funding on a discretionary basis. For example an economy-class travel allowance for Scholars travelling from their home country to the business school at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme, a stipend, or to attend additional conferences or workshops, or conduct fieldwork and pilots.
MTN Scholarships for Africans Deadlines
Key dates for the application process are given below.
Once your application has been received, a shortlisting committee will evaluate your application using our selection criteria for the Scholarship, to produce a final interview list.
We hold interviews in late November. If you are unable to attend in person we will interview you by Skype or phone. We aim to tell you within a week of the interview whether you have been successful.
MTN Scholarships for Africans - FAQs
Have further questions? Here’s where to look for the answer.
1. Does the scholarship apply to international students not having lived in an African country?
Applicants must be South African or African citizens and must have been a permanent resident in South Africa or an African country for at least one year prior to applying.
2. Does the scholarship apply to programmes at any other university?
The scholarship only applies to the MBA or MPhil studies at the University of Cape Town’s, Graduate School of Business.
3. Would the scholarship be available to Modular students as well?
Yes, it will be.
4. I have completed the online scholarship application; do you need anything else from me?
You will need to complete the UCT GSB application to be accepted into the program, this is a separate application to the MTN Scholarship application process. Please see UCT GSB application processes here.
5. What supporting documents do I need to send with my application?
We require applicants to supply the following documents in support of their application:
6. Will I have any obligations to work for MTN after graduation?
No, the MTN Scholarships’ overarching mission is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa as well as creating over time a network of next generation TMT leaders across the continent.
For more information and scholarships application details, see: MTN Scholarships for Africans
For more Africa international scholarships, see: Africa Master Scholarships » University Africa Scholarships » International Scholarships in Africa
Scholarships in Australia » Scholarships in Belgium » Scholarships in Canada » Scholarships in Germany » Scholarships in Italy » Scholarships in Japan » Scholarships in Korea » Scholarships in Netherlands » Scholarships in UK » Scholarships in USA