World Bank Group Environmental Specialist Jobs in Kenya
World Bank Group Environmental Specialist Jobs in Kenya
Description Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
Eastern and Southern Africa (E AFR) Region
Home to about 700 million of Africa’s people, Eastern and Southern Africa is a geographically, culturally and economically diverse region of 26 countries stretching from the Red Sea in the North to the Cape of Good Hope in the South. Children under 18 make up almost half of the total population. The sub-region boasts of some of the world’s richest human and natural resources and, apart from South Africa, the countries are predominantly raw material exporters.
The World Bank’s Eastern and Southern Africa Region, comprised of approximately 1,207 staff, mostly based in 26 country offices, has been helping countries realize their considerable development potential by focusing on the following priorities:
• Creating Jobs and Transforming Economies: We are working with countries across Africa to stimulate job creation and economic transformation by leveraging all sources of finance, expertise, and solutions to promote investment.
• Building up the Digital Economy: We are supporting Africa’s vision to ensure that every African individual, business, and government is connected by 2030 – a vision that, if realized, can boost growth by up to 2 percentage points per year, and reduce poverty by 1 percentage point per year in Sub-Saharan Africa alone.
• Institutions more Efficient and Accountable: Our support is helping governments strengthen public policy processes, manage resources effectively, and reinforce fair and reliable delivery of public services.
• Supporting Climate Change Mitigation and Adaption: In the face of increasing climate-related risks, we are working with African countries to advance efforts to adopt renewable energy, climate-smart agriculture, and green infrastructure.
• Building Partnerships and Working across the African Continent: We are scaling up our work on regional integration, taking a holistic view of the continent that covers both North and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Environment Natural Resources & Blue Economy Global Practice
The sustainable management of the environment and natural resources is vital for economic growth and human well being. When managed well, renewable natural resources, watersheds, productive landscapes and seascapes can provide the foundation for sustained inclusive growth, food security and poverty reduction. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/environment.
Unit and Country Context
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Unit for Africa East and Southern Region (one of four Environment units in Africa) has about 40 staff. Half of these staff work on environmental safeguards/environmental risk management. The other 50 percent work primarily on lending and knowledge products in client countries. About 50 percent are based in the country offices.
Female Candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or the Mogadishu Office, Somalia (depending on the nationality of the candidate) and will focus on implementation of the World Bank’s environmental risk management policies (including the Safeguard Policies and the new Environmental and Social Framework, or ESF). All World Bank-supported investment projects must meet ambitious environmental management standards.
Note: This is a nationally recruited position intended for nationals of Kenya or Somalia. If you are not a national of these countries, you will not be selected. Remuneration is based on the national markets in these countries.
Duties and Accountabilities
The Environmental Specialist - Risk Management will have the following key responsibilities as agreed with his/her Practice Manager based on an annual Result Agreement:
• Ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence as defined by World Bank Group (WBG) Environmental and Social Management Framework, safeguards policies as well as international good practice documents (e.g. Equator Principles) into
the design, appraisal and implementation of WBG supported projects (environmental lending portfolio and analytical work).
• Work closely with the Regional Safeguards Coordinators in the Africa region who are responsible for assigning safeguards tasks and ensuring the quality of the safeguards work and environmental risk management in the Region.
In addition to meeting Bank-wide Grade GF level positions (see below), it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
The following are required:
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environmental engineering, civil engineering, environmental science or related field, with a strong preference for candidates with good technical training in environmental risk management related to ecology, large scale civil engineering, pollution management, solid waste management, or soil, water and groundwater remediation and clean-up.
• A minimum of 3 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the engineering risk management or environmental management sector is required.
• Fluency in English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading)
• Fluency in Somali is required.
• Proven teamwork and successful experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
• A strong sense of teamwork and ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively in country and possibly to other countries is necessary, including to remote rural areas.
The following would be an advantage but not required:
• Knowledge and experience in environmental assessment and management of investment projects involving large scale civil works, extractive or industrial activities would be a strong advantage, especially the experience in the preparation of environmental safeguard/risk management documents.
• Experience in Somalia, a fragile state environment, understanding the institutional and political context and exposure to the national environmental policy challenges would be an advantage.
• Demonstrated project management / project operational skills, including occupational health and safety management would be an advantage.
• Experience working with contractors that have weak implementation capacity in the area of environmental risk management would be an advantage.
Competencies (Level GF, Environmental Specialist /Engineer)
Integrative skills:demonstrates ability to think and work across WBG, practices and sectors
• Integrates divergent viewpoints of multiple external and internal stakeholders into a coherent project/program/ strategy
• Considers corporate commitments (eg Gender, Climate) in project approach.
Policy Dialogue skills: possesses political judgment, diplomatic acumen, and negotiating skills.
• Builds and sustains key stakeholder relationships with government and other key stakeholders
• Guides clients and/or development partners in identifying key operational issues and optional solutions with a demonstrated ability to bring
together different perspectives
• Leads task teams, participates in formal negotiations, and assists government in establishing priorities.
Knowledge and Experience in Development arena: demonstrates sound knowledge of World Bank Group’s Twin Goals and the complementarities among different World Bank Group member institutions.
• Demonstrates deep understanding of policy making process and the role of own sector of expertise in that process.
• Fully understands Bank’s development initiatives and policies and practices related to l ending and non-lending operations.
• Anticipates client needs and requests and guides the development/ offering of relevant tools to clients.
Specialized Knowledge & Technical Skills:
Environment & Natural Resources Management Technical Skills & Knowledge (Specialist / Engineer)
• Demonstrates solid understanding of the roles of each WBG institution and its relationship to environment/NRM/climate change.
• Demonstrates strong knowledge of at least one relevant thematic business line, namely “blue”, “brown”, “green”, climate change, and environmental risk management.
• Provides guidance and coaching to others on technical and operational matters.
How to apply
For more information and job application details, see; World Bank Group Environmental Specialist Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.