USAID Project Management Specialist Jobs in Uganda
USAID Project Management Specialist Jobs in Uganda USAID/Uganda is seeking offers from qualified Ugandans to provide personal services under contract as Project Management Specialist (Basic Education).
Duties to be Performed
Program Policy Guidance (40% of time)
The Senior Basic Education Specialists provides EYCD and USAID/Uganda with expert guidance on education sector reform, education sector financing, and education administration.
Works closely with the EY
CD Basic Education Team Lead on issues related to the education sector in Uganda, including in consultation, coordination, and partnership with the wider donor community.
Produces Ugandan education sector policy briefs, strategy papers, and reporting documents, all based on in-depth sector knowledge and independently produced analyses.
Advises the EYCD Basic Education Team Lead, EYCD Office Director and at times the Mission Director, Deputy Mission Director, or members of the Embassy Country Team on education policy in Uganda, including education sector initiatives and strategic planning, educational laws and policies, and education financing.
Basic Education Program Management and Oversight (45% of time)
The Senior Basic Education Specialist has principal responsibility for strategically managing activities to improve national level basic education systems and policies. The position requires substantial programmatic and technical knowledge regarding majoreducational policies and practices that impede learning outcomes. S/he participates in the design and management of USAID education programs and projects and assesses potential programming modifications to ensure that USAID education strategy and policy in Uganda address key issues in the sector and that investments in the sector produce positive results. At the same time, s/he ensures that USAID/Uganda’s basic education activities are in line with international and local best practice and complementary to efforts of other donors.
Provides oversight to contractors and grantees by serving as Contracting Officer’s Representative/Agreement Officer’s Representative (COR/AOR) (or alternate), and/or Activity Manager for selected implementing partners, including those implementing and evaluating basic education programs. Activity management will be guided by designation letter from the Contracting Officer and will include financial and pipeline analysis, tracking of deliverables and results, technical expertise to 10resolve challenges in achieving results, and general knowledge of Uganda specific issues such as violence in schools, adolescent pregnancies, child marriages, etc.
Leads adaptation of the Mission’s basic education efforts in response to Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) assessments and independent performance and impact evaluations at both the program level and in collaboration with USAID, Ministry, donors, and other stakeholders.
Develops tools and documents including operationalplans, performance management plans and reports, portfolio presentations, and official briefing materials.
Contributes to EYCD’s Development Outreach and Communications strategy by writing program success stories and sharing information on USAID/Uganda’s education program with audiences in Uganda and the United States.
Representation to the Government of Uganda, Other Donors, and Stakeholders (15% of time)
• The Senior Basic Education Specialist establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders including central and decentralized levels of the MOES, other donors, and private sector and NGO representatives working to improve education in Uganda. The incumbent serves as a basic education technical specialistand shares responsibility with the Basic Education Team
• Lead in representing EYCD on various external education committees and with internal USAID stakeholders. S/he will ensure USAID/EYCD’s views and goals regarding basic education are well articulated during various internal and external education fora, including the Education Development Partners, Education Sector Consultative Committee, Education Sector Review, the Basic Education Working Group, other MOES working groups, CDCS integration working groups, and others, including as high as the Permanent Secretary and State Minister for Primary Education levels.
• The contractor is eligible for temporary duty (TDY) travel to the U.S., or to other Missions abroad, to participate in the “Foreign Service National” Fellowship Program, in accordance with USAID policy.
• Supervised by USDH Education Officer. The Senior Basic Education Specialist will apply a highly technical body of knowledge about basic education with minimal supervision.
• None. However, s/he has oversight responsibilities over the entire Basic Education portfolio of approximately $90 Million over five years
• A master’s degree in education or other social science subject is required.
Prior Work Experience:
• Seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in supporting primary education systems reform programs and/or initiatives; including at least three years in strategy development and program management, is required.
• Demonstrated strategic planning, policy dialogue and problem solving skills on complex bilateral/multilateral and/or public sector programs are required.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English, Level IV (fluent).
• Demonstrated knowledge of state-of-the-art and international best practices in the areas of education policy, administration and financing, programming and/orevaluation is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the education sector in sub-Saharan Africa, including the range of issues and challenges impeding access to quality basic education is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the historical development of education in Uganda including; conditions in primary schools; familiarity with the MOES and its affiliated institutions (the Uganda National
• Examinations Board, National Curriculum Development Center, etc.); and knowledge of Ugandan basic education systems (i.e.: curriculum design,teacher training, classroom effectiveness, educational management, literacy development and testing and evaluation, etc.) is required.
• Familiarity with education financing models and public education sector initiatives, including multi-donor sector investment programs; substantive skills and experience in quantitative and qualitative methods for measuring basic education outcomes; and knowledge and/or previous experience with early grade reading pedagogy and assessment, including instruction in local languages with a later transition to English.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated skills in conceptualizing programs, policies, plans and developing strategies for their implementation as well as a high degree of managerial, analytical and leadership skills in program management is required. Strong negotiation skills are required.
• Demonstrated ability to obtain, analyze, and evaluate a variety of data and information to prepare precise and accurate factual and analytical reports and to make meaningful recommendations.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a wide range of senior level contacts in the public and private sectors.
• Demonstrated ability to work on a team and to form positive and productive working relationships at all levels is required. Excellent writing skills and proficiency in Windows applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are required.
• Ability and willingness for limited travel within Uganda is required
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; USAID Project Management Specialist Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.