U.S Embassy in Kenya Health Communication Specialist Jobs
U.S Embassy in Kenya Health Communication Specialist Jobs
Duties This position serves as the Communication Specialist, under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director. The position undertakes the development of complete communication strategy that promotes information sharing for CDC Kenya and provision to Program officials of advisory, planning and technical services in designing approaches, resolving public affairs problems in various program areas under the ambit of CDC Kenya.
This position leads and directs the development and implementation of a comprehensive communication and marketing program, including the establishing of goals and objectives, instituting policies, programs, and activities and ensuring integration with other research, surveillance, and prevention activities.
Provides coordination and quality assurance for all communication and marketing activities, assures the health information is accurately and appropriately represented to diverse constituencies; applies communication and marketing solutions for complex and controversial problems; conducts analyses and assessments affecting program and policy decisions and relationships at all governmental levels; and participates in scientific meetings, colloquia and internal and external government venues requiring knowledge and understanding of CDC’s communication and marketing and applicable programmatic activities, goals and objectives.
Qualifications and Evaluations
A minimum of 5 years progressive experience with a focus in Health Communication is required
Extensive knowledge of the mission, goals, objectives and the organization of CDC and how they relate to the policies, practices, procedures and regulations, which affect the way the organization operates at the local, national and international level.
• Knowledge of communication principles, methods, practices and techniques; analytical methods; and interpersonal relations practices. Knowledge and skill to analyze public reaction to CDC Kenya programs and policies in developing recommendations that significantly modify CDC Kenya major program and policies; and integrating diverse points of view in a communication plan in establishing and maintaining mutual understanding with various CDC Kenya audiences.
• Expert knowledge of health communication and marketing goals and objectives, primary and secondary data sources, environmental scanning, need assessments, and health/risk communication to identify information gaps/needs and opportunities; define and analyze target audiences; manage staff and partners to formulate communication and marketing strategies; oversee health communication and marketing programs, and outreach and partnership efforts; and lead professionals in translating complex and controversial epidemiologic and medical information.
• Comprehensive understanding of USG global health programs: Global health security, malaria, HIV, TB, etc.
• Comprehensive knowledge of host government and international public health systems is required, including a detailed knowledge of the structure and operations of the national and local media, the environment for health care delivery in Kenya, structure and function of endemic and international NGOs providing public health services in Kenya, and other collaborating and donor agencies in Kenya with CDC supported programs.
• Comprehensive knowledge and application of strategic planning and evaluation processes.
Master’s degree in Public Health, Mass communication, Journalism or Public Relations is required.
English level IV (Fluent, Writing /Speaking /Reading) in required. This may be tested.
Kiswahili Level IV (Fluent, Writing, Speaking, Reading) is required.
Skills and Abilities
Skills sufficient for presenting ideas in written materials in new ways that will increase understanding among Kenyan and American audiences with varying levels of comprehension
of CDC Kenya programs and policies, or opposition or indifference to CDC Kenya’s program objectives.
Skills sufficient for making on-the-spot presentations about CDC’s programs for various audiences, including scientific and non-scientific audiences.
Skills sufficient to post messages and manage social media accounts for CDC Kenya.
The incumbent must also have strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, including the ability to evaluate and edit content, structure and format of a wide range of written materials.
Incumbent is also required to have advanced computer skills and the ability to use office software packages, including word processing, desktop publishing and spreadsheets.
The position requires well-developed skills for writing and editing of complex materials. Examples of complex written documents include the development of the national health promotion strategy and policy for the National Department of Health, detailed statement of work and reporting requirements for cooperative agreement program announcements; written protocols for program implementation; instructions for compiling program data and incorporating the data into reports in a standardized format; development of the annual country operational plan; and technical reports for the DOH, CDC senior management, the PEPFAR core team, and the Mission Executive Officers on program progress and outputs.
The position also requires demonstrated skill working with graphic design and editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Publisher and infographic development software such as smartdraw or Tableau.
In addition, the position requires competence in researching background for articles, conducting secondary research and writing literature reviews with the ability to analyze and interpret intellectual information and develop accurate and descriptive abstracts and summaries.
The ability to use independent judgment in managing and imparting information which often includes sensitive materials is required.
Ability to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners is required.
The incumbent will be expected to exercise considerable ingenuity, tact and diplomacy in applying guidelines to unique and different settings, as the work is highly complex and of importance to high-level stakeholders.
Influencing and persuading skills are needed in generating interest in global health programs and activities on the part of media representatives.
Demonstration of care and compassion in oral communications is also required when communicating sensitive social and cultural issues associated with the prevention, care and treatment of individuals with infectious diseases.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; U.S Embassy in Kenya Health Communication Specialist Jobs
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.