UNON Senior Telecommunications Technical Assistant Jobs in Kenya
UNON Senior Telecommunications Technical Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located in the Information Technology Unit (ITU) of the Division of Conference Services (DCS), UNON at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, ITU/DCS/UNON the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
Conference equipment handling and day-to-day operations:
Install and test conference equipment;
Set up and test conference room as per agreed standards;
Perform audio and video recording and process recordings as per clients' requirements;
Guide and mentor short term technical staff;
Assist interpreters with operational set-ups and monitor operations throughout the meeting;
Engage in team work with other UNON technical parties in the case of teleconferencing and video-conferencing facilitation.
Maintenance of conference equipment:
Conduct quarterly inspections to test, repair and clean conference equipment;
Tackle technical issues relating to conference equipment and share information, technological improvement ideas and suggestions with the team members; escalate outstanding unresolved issues to the supervisor;
Ensure adequate spare parts are kept in stock;
Liaise with internal staff members and external contractors on timely repair or replacement of faulty equipment.
Perform the role of supervisor and coordinate the daily operations of the team;
Participate in weekly coordination meetings;
Conduct resource planning on a weekly basis;
Supervise short-term staff;
Engage in daily contact with internal stakeholders;
Identify tools and resources that will enable the team perform;
Coordinate with Division of Security & Safety Services (DSS) to ensure safety and security of equipment and delegates in the conference area;
Coordinate with Facilities Management and Transport Service to ensure proper upkeep of conference facilities;
Research and give feedback on training needs.
Inventory and Procurement:
Coordinate with Procurement Section to ensure timely acquisition of equipment and services required;
Maintain up-to-date records of assets;
Conduct quarterly physical inventory checks to ensure up-to-date records;
Prepare quarterly report; investigate and report any discrepancies;
Perform regular audits;
Conduct quarterly IT equipment testing;
Ensure timely equipment repairs;
Monitor inventory stock levels;
Ensure security of DCS assets and maintain keys;
Report damaged and lost property to Property Management Unit and DSS.
Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
• Professionalism: Ability to apply knowledge and technical skills to install and test relevant equipment, provide maintenance services and user support. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing
the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
• High school diploma or equivalent. Supplemental courses/diplomas in areas of inventory, computer office suites and audio/video(AV) broadcasting are required. Specialized Audio Video / Information Technology certifications such as Certified Technology Specialist (CTS), Dante Level 1-3, ITIL Foundation, ITIL Service Operation is desirable.
• Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Eastern Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva.
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience involving computerized general office work and use of Microsoft Office Suite is required.
• Experience in audio/video broadcasting in a medium-sized organization is required.
• Telecommunications related experience in operating, maintenance and servicing of conference and video-conference equipment is desirable.
• Experience working with Remote Simultaneous Interpretation (RSI) platforms is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
• For more information and job application details, see; UNON Senior Telecommunications Technical Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.