UNON Senior Nurse Jobs in Kenya
UNON Senior Nurse Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).This position is located at United Nations Office at Nairobi Joint Medical Services. The incumbent reports to the Head Nurse, Joint Medical Services (JMS). Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
• Coordinate the clinical management of UN patients admitted at the COVID treatment facility operated by The Nairobi Hospital.
• Assist with the coordination of medical evacuations, emergencies etc. ensures patients arriving into the treatment facility are received and settled and provided all necessary support.
• Coordinate with relevant Ministry of Health teams in contact tracking and surveillance for COVID-19 cases.
• Respond to emergency calls and assist Medical Officers in providing adequate care; ensuring effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate; documenting case findings.
• Conduct phlebotomy on clients with proper sample identification and processing to the laboratory.
• Perform ECG, Spirometry, Audiometry and other medical examinations such as blood tests, glucose, cholesterol and urine exams, as required.
• Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, providing care/advice (e.g.,the benefits of preventive medicine, etc.) accordingly or facilitating referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
• Ensure preparedness of staff traveling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel- related ailments. Instructing on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
• Prepare health education material and conducting sessions to address staff on work environment, occupational health and other specific medical and health issues for groups of staff.
• Work on Day or Night shift rotation basis as may be determined from time to time according to the exigencies of work.
• Liaise with The Nairobi Hospital clinical and non-clinical teams in ensuring relevant assistance to UN patients at the treatment facility.
• Assist the Head Nurse in all of her/his activities as required.
• Ensure that medical instruments are properly sterilized.
• Ensure proper filing of medical and other records; preparing or overseeing the preparation of sick leave reports/certificates and certification of sick leaves in EarthMed.
• Liaise with the insurance company regarding hospital admission of staff members/eligible dependents.
• Evaluate, order and maintain an efficient inventory and stock control of medications/vaccines and other medical supplies and equipment.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of occupational nursing requirements, treatments and procedures. Ability to respond to emergencies and provide first care to
patients and prepare for treatment. Knowledge of major medical office equipment and ability to use them in emergency situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor of Nursing degree OR Diploma in nursing - Kenya Registered Nurse (KRN) Or Kenya Registered Community Health Nurse (KRCHN) diploma is required. Current registration and license with the Nursing Council of Kenya allowing unrestricted nursing practice in Kenya required. Training in infectious disease an added advantage.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible work experience in Nursing or related field is required.
At least two (2) years of relevant experience working in an Accident and Emergency Unit, or Intensive Care Unit or other emergency medical services is required.
At least two (2) years experience in managing infectious diseases is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
• For more information and job application details, see; UNON Senior Nurse Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.