UNON Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNON Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located within the Division of Administrative Services (DAS).
The incumbent will work on the proposed Conference Centre Upgrade project under the overall supervision of the Chief, Central Support Services (CSS) and the delegated supervision of the Chief, Facilities Management and Transport Section (FMTS).
Within delegated authority, and under the overall guidance of the Chief CSS and Chief FMTS, the Project Coordinator/ Conference Centre Upgrade Project will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides technical leadership and expertise and acts as interface for matters related to specialist conference services for the current planning/pre-design stage for the proposed Conference Centre Upgrade project at the United Nations Office at Nairobi;
• Coordinates and implements programs/projects and tasks as assigned related to development of the current planning/ pre-design stage of the project; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; initiates and ensures follow-up actions.
• Conducts research, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources to better understand both current and future conferencing facilities, venues and services within the local and international environment, and associated requirements and processes on a comprehensive detailed level, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or specialized analysis reports other research activities and studies;
• Establishes, coordinates and maintains business relationships with relevant business leaders and departments, including but not limited to coordinating various project governance related meetings with UN client entities, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) as well as other UN offices within Kenya, the Division of Conference Services, Department of Safety and Security, Information and Communication Technology Services, Facilities Management and Transportation Section and other stakeholders as identified, to better understand their future conference and meetings requirements, hear their concerns, and the effects on the proposed project implementation;
• Provides substantive advice to project owners, stakeholders and senior management related to current and future international conferencing best practice, appropriate policies, standards and guidelines, including detailed analysis of contractual and technical outputs of professional firms, contractors and suppliers related to the field of specialist conferencing, events and associated conferencing technologies;
• Undertakes conferencing related survey initiatives; guides design of any data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, relevant substantive sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. consistent with UN policies and procedures;
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences etc., to include, in consultation with project owners and managers, proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Coordinates relevant project outreach, consultation and change management activities, including project workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Coordinates activities as assigned related to project budget and finance, including but not limited to cost estimates for the conference services components of the project, including liaison and coordination with relevant contracted professional consultants, contractors, suppliers and preparing related documents/reports at highest quality in the context of current project deliverables.
• Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with stakeholders at all levels and monitors and communicates project status, business issues, risks and significant developments related to conference services functions,
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence and knowledge of matters related to the technical field of conference servicing, management, coordination or related field. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current and future theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the conferencing, meeting and events industry sector. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative and technical conference services leadership and coordination by performing similar responsibilities in the management of operations or similar large and complex projects.
Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organizing:Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority: makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills, monitors progress against milestones and deadlines: regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in architecture, in a field of engineering and conference related technologies, conference and event management or relevant related field, is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in project/ program management, with specific reference to conferences, meetings and events facilities and venues, or related industry sector area, is required.
Experience with technical development, coordination and or implementation of large/complex conference, meetings and events facilities and venues for inter-governmental, multi-national or large scale in-country convention operations and/or projects, is required.
Experience in the technical implementation of large/complex new, renovation, refurbishment and retrofit projects for conferencing facilities and venues is desirable.
Experience with coordination of large and complex projects including a number of project stakeholders is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNON Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.