UNOCT Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNOCT Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting This position is located within the Strategic Coordination Section (SCS, Pillar III) of the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT), within the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), in the United Nations Office in Nairobi (UNON). The Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the Strategic Coordination Section, with the Director of UNCCT acting as second reporting officer and dotted reporting lines to the UNOCT Field Coordinator.
The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) was established by the General Assembly in June 2017. The Office has five main functions: (a) provide leadership on the General Assembly counter-terrorism mandates across the United Nations System; (b) enhance coordination and coherence across the 43 Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact entities to ensure the balanced implementation of the four pillars of the Strategy; (c) strengthen the delivery of United Nations counter-terrorism capacity-building assistance to Member States; (d) improve visibility, advocacy and resource mobilization for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts; and (e) ensure that due priority is given to counter-terrorism across the United Nations System and that the important work on preventing violent extremism is firmly rooted in the Strategy. The United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) is part of UNOCT and promotes the delivery of United Nations capacity building assistance to Member States.
The Programme Management Officer will manage and supervise a team and coordinate UNOCT counter-terrorism activities in the East Africa Region and the nations of which it is comprised, in accordance with UNOCT’s mandate (e.g. in the areas of (a) Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE); (b) Special Investigations; and (c) Prosecution, Rehabilitation and Reintegration).
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• Oversees consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources and assists Member States in identifying priorities, needs, good practices and challenges on counter-terrorism and preventing and countering violent extremism, with a view to developing and supporting the implementation of tailored-made technical assistance programmes and projects, in close consultation with regional and national authorities as appropriate.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies. Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc.; represents UNOCT/UNCCT through the establishment and maintenance of relationships with strategic partners and inter-agency coordination forums.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Liaises and coordinates with headquarters in New York, as well as across the UN system in Nairobi and the region.
• Briefs senior UNOCT officials on counter-terrorism, PCVE and identifies opportunities for UNOCT to engage, and provides updates on programmes/projects implementation.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Engages in resource mobilization and fundraising, including through
regular consultations with relevant member states, financial institutions, regional organizations, etc.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of programme and project management. Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to counter-terrorism and the prevention of violent extremism. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international affairs, business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in planning, coordinating and implementing technical assistance activities on counter-terrorism, prevention of violent extremism, or related programmes is desirable.
Experience in resource mobilization in a multilateral setting is desirable.
Experience working in a liaison functions is desirable.
Experience working in Eastern Africa is desirable.
For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNOCT Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.