United Nations Translator, French Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Translator, French Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
• These positions are located at United Nations Headquarters in New York in the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM) and in the United Nations Offices at Geneva, Nairobi and Vienna, as well as in the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in Addis Ababa and the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in Bangkok.
• These positions are under the general supervision of the Chief of the French Translation Service or the Chief of the French Verbatim Section at United Nations Headquarters in New York, or of the respective Chief of Section/Unit at duty stations away from Headquarters. Further details can be found in the language careers section of the DGACM website (https://www.un.org/dgacm/fr/content/careers).Responsibilities
• Duties and responsibilities depend on the service/section/unit and duty station in which the position is located.
• In Translator positions, they include: translating, subject to revision, documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations, i.e., in the political, social, legal, economic, financial, administrative, scientific and technical fields.
• In Editor positions, they include: ensuring that the phraseology, the terminology and, where appropriate, the translation are correct and that the style is appropriate to the audience; editing for continuity, logic, completeness, relevance of material, readability, clarity of expression and consistency, as well as spelling, punctuation and grammar; ensuring conformity with United Nations editorial standards, policies and practices; verifying the accuracy of facts, figures, quotations and references through research and consultation; identifying unclear or ambiguous statements and proposing amendments for consideration by the author, the supervising editor or the relevant translation service.
• In Verbatim Reporter positions, they include: producing in extenso verbatim records of meetings; editing the original language version as necessary for accuracy, making the required changes for style, syntax and grammar and procedure; transcribing and/or translating assigned portions of meetings; comparing transcripts of interpretation with original language versions to ensure completeness and accuracy of the records; and translating passages that are either inaccurate or incomplete.Competencies Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision,
even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Applicants must hold at least a first-level degree or an equivalent qualification in modern languages, translation, interpretation or another relevant subject, such as law, economics, accounting, international relations, science or technology from a university or institution of equivalent status, preferably one at which French is the principal language of instruction.
Completion of an advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) or post-graduate diploma in modern languages, translation, interpretation, law or another relevant subject is preferred.
No experience is required; two or more years of practical experience in translation, verbatim reporting, editing or a related field is preferred.
Applicants must have a perfect command of French, which should be their main language (i.e. the language in which the candidate is best able to write, edit and translate into and of which he/she has a perfect command).
All applicants must also have an excellent knowledge of English. Applications from candidates who only translate from English will be accepted, but excellent knowledge also of at least one of the other official languages of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish) is preferred and will be an advantage.
Successful candidates whose knowledge of law or an official language of the United Nations other than French and English is not assessed in this competitive examination shall be required, upon joining the Organization, to add to their working language combination another official language of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish), to be determined by the relevant service/section/unit according to its operational needs at that moment in time.
Applicants' claim to knowledge of official languages must be supported by relevant documentation attached to their application. Further evidence of degrees/diplomas, knowledge of languages and/or relevant experience may be required prior to convocation to sit the examination.
Applications from candidates with excellent knowledge of Arabic and Russian are strongly encouraged.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Translator, French Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!