United Nations Team Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Team Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The position is located with the Regional Office for Africa of the Regional Programmes Division and based in Nairobi, Kenya. The Team Assistant reports to the Associate Programme Management Officer overseeing projects implemented within countries in the African region. The focus of this position is to facilitate project implementation through provision of administrative support.
The Regional Programmes Division is responsible for consolidating and enhancing the linkages between UN Habitat's activities in the field with the Strategic Plan, the 2030 Agenda, and the UN-Habitat’s overall future priorities and to make sure that they are appropriate to the country context.
UN-Habitat’s Regional Office for Africa manages U-Habitat’s project portfolio in the African region. It ensures that country priorities are in alignment with the UN-Habitat’s organizational policies and strategic objectives and brings through its Regional Representative to the attention of the Executive Management Committee (EMC) opportunities and challenges in the region, allowing for timely feedback and responses to urgent demands and requests from Member States.
Under the overall supervision of the Associate Programme Management Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
• Assists in the grants closure process through raising requests for grant extension and clearance of open items, raising adjustment requests, and recording expenditure reports for Implementing Partners.
• Assists with creation of budgets and WBSEs for new grants and carrying out budget clean ups for existing grants under the guidance of the respective PMO in Umoja.
• Creates and follows up on approval of new grants in Umoja by feeding in the master data and checking on the validity of all billing values of existing/ongoing grants making requests for amendments where needed.
• Follows up on clearance of legal documents including new agreements and amendments.
• Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget.
• Generates a variety of standard statistical and other reports from UMOJA as well as PAAS.
• Creates and monitor obligating documents including Shopping Carts, Purchase Orders, Funds Commitments, Travels for meeting participants etc.
• If and, when required, travel in the represented countries to provide training and administrative support.
• Ensure all project information is updated in the Project Accrual and Accounting System (PAAS).
• Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications.
• Provides administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
• Performs data entry and extraction functions.
• Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative
policies, processes, and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training in administration, economics, social science or related field is desirable.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Eastern Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, human resources management in general office and administrative support or related area is required.
Experience in workshop/meeting planning is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Team Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.