United Nations Support Office For Somalia Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Support Office For Somalia Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Special Notice This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is based within the Human Resources Section within the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS), in Nairobi. The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Chief of Staff Selection Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and placement
• Assists in reviewing draft job openings ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with individual job descriptions;
• Assists with the review of applicants to ensure that candidates meet eligibility criteria, including requirements stated in the job openings;
• Initiates and follows-up on reference checks, in respect of academic verifications and employment records, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities;
• Initiates and prepares offer of appointment, including Statement of Emoluments, for review by the Human Resources Officer;
• Assists with the scheduling and coordination of assessment of candidates, including written assessments, competitive recruitment examinations and Competency Based Interviews;
• Maintains up to date electronic roster for successful applicants to national category job openings, establishing contacts with candidates to update rosters;
• Advises staff and selected candidates on visa procedures and requirements.
Administration of entitlements and benefits
• Advises staff on the application and implementation of HR policies, procedures, regulations and rules concerning entitlements and benefits;
• Reviews and maintains time and attendance records of staff, processing leave requests, liaising with Sections and staff in cases of discrepancies;
• Reviews and processes entitlements and benefits related actions in Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP);
• Assists with the monitoring and documentation of issues related to conditions of service of staff and advises the supervisor of any developments;
• Conducts research and prepares written responses to queries related to human resources matters.
Performance Management and Staff development
• Assists with guiding staff on performance management and staff development, monitoring compliance as required;
• Assists in the development of career development programme to support staff members career needs;
• Assists in the organization and conducting of training courses and workshops in consultation and coordination with Training Units;
• Researches on the specific career needs of staff and makes appropriate recommendations and staff development plans in line with the human resources work-plan;
• Assists with development and conducting courses related to general and human resources management needs.
• Assists with the monitoring of staff related costs and expenditures in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and alerts the Supervisor on any projected shortfall;
• Ensures post management is conducted in line with established standard procedures and that Managers and staff are adequately advised and briefed on post related actions;
• Undertakes research on a range of human resources related issues and prepares notes /reports;
• Assists with the compilation and preparation of statistical reports on human resources related
• Conducts exit Interviews for separating staff and assists him/her in final arrangements;
• Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval, a variety of correspondence and other communications;
• Initiates required actions with regard to various human resources related transactions, including budget and financial transactions concerning human resources issues for review by the Supervisor;
• Prepares and drafts written response to queries concerning human resources related matters;
• Assists with reviewing and processing requests for classification, advising and answering queries on classification procedures and processes;
• Assists in providing documentation and background materials relating to classification;
• Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Additional training/certification in human resources is highly desirable. Knowledge of UN Human Resources Information System (HRIS) applications and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) or similar applications is an advantage.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources
management, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience in application of UN Staff Rules and Regulations in an operational environment is highly desirable; this includes processes and tools as they apply to recruitment.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Assessment Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will Method be followed by a competency-based interview.
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Support Office For Somalia Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.