United Nations Social Affairs Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
United Nations Social Affairs Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting
ECA's mission, objective and strategic directions: ECA's mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063. The mission will be guided by ECA's five new strategic directions which are: Advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
The Gender, Poverty and Social Policy Division (GPSPD) is headed by a Director and reports to the Deputy Executive Secretary (Programme). The Division is responsible for contributing towards achieving inclusive and equitable sustainable human and social development in Africa and promoting and supporting member States in their work to achieve gender equality and women's empowerment. It is divided into three main sections: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment; Social Policy; and Urbanization and Development.
This position is located in the Urbanization and Development Section (UDS) of the Gender, Poverty and Social Development Policy Division (GPSPD) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Social Affairs Officer reports to the Chief of UDS.
Within delegated authority and under the overall direction of the Director of GPSPD and the direct supervision of the Chief of UDS, the Social Affairs Officer will carry out the following responsibilities:
• Proposes, designs and carries out substantive research projects analyzing key trends and changes in urban development and associated socio-economic priorities (e.g., poverty, employment, youth, inequality, gender issues, etc.) at global, regional and national levels; assesses implications and develops proposals with respect to urban development policies and interventions.
• Develops new lines of theoretical analysis and research methodologies for the diagnosis of major transformations in urbanization and the planning and management of cities.
• Plans, organizes and provides substantial servicing of ad hoc expert group meetings, conferences, seminars, workshops, etc. to include identification and selection of participants, development of background documentation, preparation of reports, documents, policy recommendations and analytical briefs based on the outcome of such meetings.
• Prepares a variety of studies, reports, background papers, parliamentary documentation, etc. on a wide range of urban development and related issues.
• Provides substantive support on urban development and related socio-economic issues to intergovernmental bodies (such as the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council, the Commission for Social Development).
• Represents organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings.
• Organizes panels, round tables, etc. on social development issues for intergovernmental processes.
• Provides technical assistance to governments and other bodies in the formulation and implementation of policies and programs related to urban development.
• Designs, monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Undertakes missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities and/or in support of the work programme.
• Prepares global, regional, national or sectoral analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on urban development issues.
• Conducts training seminars and workshops for government officials and others.
• Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects.
• May participate in planning and preparation of unit budget and work program and in the administration of the day-to-day operations of the unit, including personnel responsibilities of the unit.
• Provides leadership and work direction to assigned work team, and/or mentors and supervises the work of new/junior officers.
• Prepares statements on social and economic issues for the Secretary-General and Under Secretary-General, as required.
• Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of urban development and related fields. Ability to apply principles and concepts of socio-economic development in relation to government, the private sector, civil society and international organizations. Ability to apply techniques of analyzing urbanization development trends, conditions and policy options as well as related socio-economic dynamics. Ability to conduct policy relevant conceptual and strategic analyses. Ability to analyze and articulate the social and economic dimensions of complex policy challenges. Problem-solving skills.
Ability to use sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of complex issues/problems. Strong knowledge of the Africa region, including the political, economic and social dimensions. Ability to relate socio-economic issues, trends and perspectives, including gender issues, to urban development initiatives/programmes in affected country/region. Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement. Ability to work under pressure.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in urban planning, economics, sociology, other social science or related fields is required.
A first-level or advanced degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in any fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree in the specified fields of studies.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in socio economic development, policy analysis, sociological research or related area is required.
Experience in urban development policy analysis and research, and technical assistance projects is required.
Experience in statistical and quantitate data analysis is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in either language is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Social Affairs Officer Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.