United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP's Policy and Programme Division performs strategic planning, coordination and monitoring of UNEP's programmes as well as coordinates UNEP's engagement with the wider UN system and global processes.
This post of Senior Programme Officer is located in Programme Coherence and Assurance Unit and reports to the Director, Policy and Programme Division.
Results-based Management and Project Cycle Management:
• Serve as overall focal point for results-based management and project cycle management within UNEP and provide strategic advice to divisions and thematic coordinators during the development of the Strategic Framework and Programme of Work and ensure consistency across sub-programmes.
• Lead the incorporation of lessons learnt from outcome of evaluations and self-assessments into UNEP's project cycle and serve as the Division’s focal point for evaluations.
• Develop and maintain an integrated performance information platform covering all aspects of programme delivery and support informed decision making at all levels of management.
• Lead the coordination and drafting of reports on all aspects of programme performance for submission to the Committee of Permanent Representatives, the UN Environment Assembly and the General Assembly, in particular on UNEP-wide issues.
• Represent UNEP in relevant inter-agency working groups and meetings on project management, project system design, data management and transparency and results-based management.
• Undertake other duties as required by the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and Director, Policy and Programme Division.
Programme and Project Management:
• Take the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Ensure implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Direct substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
Administrative, Budget and Finance and Human Resource Management:
• Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements and ensures preparation of related documents/reports.
• Serve as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Ensure effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff of the Unit.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation.
Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or
challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Judgement/decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in project design, management, and monitoring skills is desirable.
Experience in team leadership in the United Nations or other similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of UN. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.