United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The Position is located in the Ecosystems Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Head of the Biodiversity and Land Management Branch, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties;
• Provide direction and advice on wildlife management and conservation, including developing strategies to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of results in the best interests of the Organization and its partners.
• Take lead in developing wildlife management strategies that embrace a long-term view about land use choices, including on reconciling conservation with; the expansion of agriculture; population growth; improving rural resilience, including creation of opportunity for smallholder farmers.
• Take the lead in informing and influencing land use choices through better understanding of multiple threats to wildlife.
• Lead in establishing Wildlife Economy as a legitimate and effective land use option.
• Take the lead in developing and promoting ecologically representative and well connected systems of protected areas and other conservation areas, and supporting wildlife aspects of integrated human, animal and environment health (eg. One Health) approach.
• Ensure implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines.
• Supervise preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Direct substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Manage outreach activities; design and conduct trainings, workshops, seminars, etc., make presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensure preparation of related documents.
• Serve as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Ensure effective management, supervision and development of staff.
• Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Understanding of biodiversity and wildlife management issues at global and national levels; Thorough understanding of multiple threats to wildlife and habitats. Understanding and experience with the global public policy making processes for wildlife and biodiversity, including within the Biodiversity Conventions; Understanding of issues related to securing habitats and wildlife for the future including protected areas, their management and effectiveness Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction.
Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operations. Shows pride in work and in achievements.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input
by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member;
Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; Appraises performance fairly.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in wildlife conservation management, environmental law, political ecology, environmental economics, or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Training with focus on wildlife management policy is an added advantage.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in conservation and wildlife management or related area of which five (5) years at the international level is required.
At least five (5) years of work experience in Ecosystems and Biodiversity policy development, regional programme /project coordination and resource mobilization is desirable.
Work experience with multiple threats to wildlife is desirable.
Work experience with the UN system or similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another United Nations language is an added advantage.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.