United Nations Senior Logistics and Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
United Nations Senior Logistics and Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
Org. Setting and Reporting The Economic Commission for Africa's (ECA) mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA's five new strategic directions which are: advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Africa Hall Project Management Office (AHPO) within Division of Administration at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Logistics and Shipment Assistant works under the direct supervision of the Project Manager of the Africa Hall Project and overall supervision of Chief Supply Chain Management Section (SCMS) in DoA. The incumbent also works in close collaboration with the Logistics and Shipping Unit within SCMS in the Division of Administration.
Within delegated authority, the Logistics and Shipment Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Day-to-day Running and Supervision of the Shipping Sub-Unit.
• Plans and assigns long and short-term work programs, tasks and duties to Shipping Assistants and Clerks.
• Coordinates the duty-free importation, exportation and insurance of all official goods as well of vehicles and other personal and household effects of staff with duty-free entitlements.
Items cleared include goods for conferences e.g. exhibition materials, medicines and other sensitive goods for the Clinic.
• Ensures that both outgoing and incoming shipments, consignments and cargo contain approved materials only.
• Prepares memoranda, letters, note verbales and other correspondence to various, Movement Ministries, Departments and Agencies e.g. the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the National Bank of Ethiopia, Ministry of State and Public Security, Ministry of Transport and Communication and the Customs and Tax Administration.
• Supervises the preparation of Tender and Bid documents for services required by the Subunit.
• Prepares the Weekly Status reports of the Sub-Unit for submission to the Unit chief.
• Prepares budget estimates, statistics and other statements relating to the Shipping Subunit.
• Verifies disbursements out of petty cash to ensure compliance with UN rules and regulations.
• Checks, verifies and submits for approval, invoices for services rendered to the Commission by air carriers, movers and packers, transit agents and the Maritime and Transit services.
• Organizes and coordinates the processing of: Diplomatic declarations for the purchase of duty- free products and other consumables for the official use of the secretariat.
• Provide input to the Unit and s\Section Chief on policy issues
• Solicits quotations for the collection, packing and dispatch of official and personal consignments.
• Selects a packer and arranges for pre-survey and packing.
• Ensures that goods are safely and economically dispatched using the most direct and most economical route and undertakes follow up with forwarders for confirmation of departure of consignments.
• Prepares briefs to the Property Survey Board for decisions on cases of unsuccessful insurance claims requiring the Board's action.
• Ensures that correspondence are dispatched to consignees informing them about flight and other trip details of their shipments so as to facilitate early clearance and to avoid loss or damage on arrival at destinations.
• Arrange, organize, and facilitate the importation and exportation of the project's consignments, shipments and other official cargo;
• Advise on matters relating to shipping, insurance and customs as well as on the Host Country and other countries' customs, shipping and insurance rules and regulations;
• Coordinate duty-free importation, exportation and
insurance of all official goods;
• Ensure that both outgoing and incoming shipments, consignments and cargo contain approved materials only;
• Prepare memoranda, letters, note verbal’s and other correspondences to various Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, e.g. the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Transport and Communication, the National Bank of Ethiopia, Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority, Ethio-telecom, and others;
• Supervise the preparation of Tender and Bid documents for services required by the Project;
• Liaise regularly with authorities of airlines and transport companies, to keep abreast of new developments in the industry as well as to ensure continued suitability of such organizations for use by the project;
• Organize appropriate documentation and permits required for the clearance (importation) and exportation of various goods and equipment;
• Coordinates with the Logistics and Shipping Unit in SCMS on related matters to maximize support to the projects as well as other major activities as necessary;
• Perform other duties as may be required periodically by the Project Manager, Chief of SCMS and/or Director of Administration.
Professionalism: Knowledge of policies, practices and regulations on management of supplies, purchasing and logistics and ability to apply them in an organizational environment. Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports on a wide variety of data. Knowledge of the Organization's financial rules and regulations, as well as budgetary, administrative procedures, policies and directives, with respect to specialized tasks in supply management, logistics and transport operations.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Must have passed the United Nations Global General Service Test (GGST) - refer to the Special Notices section for additional information. University degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or related field is desirable.
At least ten years of progressively responsible work experience in supply chain management, insurance or logistical support, customs clearance and delivery of goods and commodities by air, land and sea transport are required.
Mix of UN and private sector experience is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Senior Logistics and Shipping Assistant Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.