United Nations Senior Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Senior Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
The post is located within the Infrastructure Management Section (IMS) of the Information and Communications Technology Service (ICTS) of the Division of Administrative Services at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the general guidance of the Chief, UNON/ICTS/IMS and the direct supervision of the Chief UNON/ICTS/IMS/Network and Communications Unit (NCU) the incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day network administration, network security and technology research. Specifically, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Network Operations and Administration (LAN/WAN/IPT)
• Support all aspects of network hardware and software.
• Manage/administer/maintain the network firewall.
• Maintain all switches/routers at recommended operating system and security patch levels.
• Supervise and manage the installation, configuration, testing and deployment of network hardware and software.
• Manage the administration, operation, technical support, and monitoring of network switchers/routers and possible redistribution of load between routers/switches.
• Supervise complex trouble shooting of routing problems and conduct frequent security audits.
• Liaise with other groups within ICTS and the user Departments for maintaining efficient and reliable network connectivity.
• Ensure 24x7 operations and monitoring of assigned systems.
• Identify the need for new systems or re-engineering of the existing systems. Implement backups of all switch/router configurations.
• Collect various statistics on the performance and reliability of switches/routers and produce pertinent reports.
• Write and maintain the documentation for LAN/WAN/IPT configurations pertinent to operations and system administration.
• Provide technical advice to network users and coordinate user support services.
• Organize and conduct periodic user training sessions to ensure effective use of LAN/WAN/IPT hardware. Set guidelines and principles for problem reporting, resolution and follow-up.
• Oversee the network security VPN and firewalls.
• Act as the technical escalation point for all unified communications related issues.
• Design, implement, manage and troubleshoot the Cisco Unified Communications Systems.
• Manage and troubleshoot the Cisco Analog and Digital voice gateways and devices as well as the Cisco IP phones.
• Perform any other related duties as required.
Network Product Evaluation and Acquisition
• Develop, revise and update Request for Proposals (RFPs) and Terms of References (TORs) in line with the Sections requirements.
• Review Technical Proposals and give recommendations based on existing TOR’s and RFP’s.
• Evaluate multiple vendor products through test plans, select vendor, and develop network engineering specifications and guidelines for implementation.
• Strive for standardized technology implementation throughout the campus.
Cloud Native Technologies
• Act as a subject matter expert for the team on cloud-native technologies.
• Evaluate new and emerging technologies and translate the business requirement into viable technical solutions for the client.
Professionalism: Knowledge of
information technology, including information security and computer system networks. Knowledge of information technology security architecture across a variety of platforms, including firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, SSL certificates, proxy and content filtering technologies, and cloud services. Knowledge of tools and techniques used for threat and risk assessment and understanding of current threat modeling and risk assessment techniques. Knowledge of hacking tools and monitoring capabilities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental courses/technical certificate in information technology or related field is required. Proficiency with IT Security or certification with emphasis on Intrusion Detection Systems and Network Security is desirable.
Additional technical training or certification with emphasis on Network Routing and Switching is desirable. Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in the information technology field is required.
Experience in network security, LAN/WAN and IPT systems design, implementation and operation is required.
Working experience in network routing and switching, troubleshooting network related problems and network security is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Note: ‘Fluency’ equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write and understand) and ‘Knowledge of’ equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Senior Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.