United Nations Public Information Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Public Information Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in the Public Sector Partnership and Resource Mobilization Unit, Corporate Services Division at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the supervision of the Senior Programme Management Officer and Head of the Public Sector Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Unit of the Corporate Services Division, the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
• Researches a broad scope of information sources, printed and electronic; compiles and presents information, and proposes new material for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services for internal and external audiences, including UNEP external web and intranet.
• Provides technical support with UNEP external web and Intranet on resource mobilization, including supporting creation of new sections when needed, updating designs, ensuring that the web- and intranet sites are updated with latest information and documents are uploaded, research for design ideas and information. Compiles statistics of views of web and intranet pages related to resource mobilization.
• Assists with social media outreach – creates schedules, ensures preparation of messages, liaises with other Divisions, and monitors release of social media messaging. Compiles statistics of reach of social media products related to resource mobilization.
• Participates in production of outreach materials including planning and execution of video production; creating, designing and updating newsletters, fact sheets, presentations, financial graphics.
• Creates and maintains repository of all outreach and communication materials as well as information and sources used for products on the web, social media and in printed materials, including results delivered using core funding. Ensures compliance with copyright requirements.
• Monitors key UNEP products, e.g. Annual Report and Programme Performance Reports, web and social media production by UNEP HQ and Regional Offices related to key contributors. Regularly keeps Regional Office information officers updated on status of key contributors, supporting their work on increasing the visibility and appreciation of these countries through their channels.
• Provides technical support in creation and dissemination of online surveys, and in analysis/statistics of responses.
• Creates, maintains and updates internal database on information needed for effective correspondence on resource mobilization including recipient data, fundraising letters related to the Environment Fund and responses from the Member States. Supports the preparation, coordination, finalization and dispatch of electronic letters to Member States on fundraising, and proposes technical solutions to facilitate this work.
• Supports the preparation of funding events, bilateral consultations and other meetings with Member States.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Demonstrated knowledge and experience in production of tools and materials in support of internal and/or external communication, including: maintenance of webpages; social media strategies and engagement; creation of newsletters, factsheets and financial graphics; and creating and updating knowledge management systems. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather
than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training/education in any one of the following is required: visual/graphic design; creating financial graphics; preparing visual presentations; website management. Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in internal/external public information and /or communication is required.
Work experience in the production of Visual designs and creation and update of newsletters, factsheets is required.
Work experience in translation of financial data into financial graphics and infographics is required.
Work experience managing and updating internal and external webpages is required.
Work experience in Information/data collection, organization and management, including creating, organizing and managing information/data repositories is required.
Work experience in creation and maintenance of knowledge management systems in support of communication and outreach work, including formal correspondence is required.
Work experience in managing corporate social media accounts is desirable.
Work experience in researching information from several sources, summarizing the information and presenting it, is desirable.
Experience working in the United Nations system or similar organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Public Information Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.