United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. On 1 March 2019, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030, with the aim to ‘prevent, halt and reverse the degradation of ecosystems worldwide’.
It requested the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to lead the implementation of the UN Decade, in collaboration with the Rio Conventions and other partners. The UN Decade covers terrestrial as well as coastal and marine ecosystems. A global call to action, it will draw together political support, scientific research and financial muscle to massively scale up restoration. The implementation of the Decade is guided be a Strategy (available on the UN Decade website) as well as an Advisory Board. This post is located within the UNEP’s Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station.
The Programme Management Officer will be an integral part of a small core team in FAO and UNEP, which manages the implementation of the core activities of FAO and UNEP as co-lead agencies of the Decade. Within delegated authority and under supervision of the UN Decade Coordinator, she/he will responsible for managing internal operations for the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the UN Decade; coordinating and managing partnerships for the UN Decade; supporting the UN Decade’s Secretariat function, including to the Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF); and leading the day-to-day communication with partner organizations. The Programme Management Officer will report directly to the UN Decade Coordinator who reports to the Strategy Group, a group of senior staff in FAO and UNEP.
Under the overall guidance of the Strategy Group of the UN Decade and under the direct supervision of the UN Decade Coordinator, and in close collaboration with relevant staff across FAO and UNEP, the incumbent will provide essential support to the implementation of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration on behalf of FAO and UNEP. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provide substantive support to the UN Decade Coordinator in the implementation of the UN Decade, including assisting in planning and coordinating the work of the FAO and UNEP core team and fulfilling the secretariat function for the UN Decade;
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with UNEP’s divisions and offices, the broader UN family, and other national and international partners of the UN Decade, including managing the core team’s communication with potential and established partners and the day-to-day communication;
• Analyze the potential for partnerships with organizations for the UN Decade, establish partnerships and support the concretization of partnership activities, outputs and goals at the project and thematic levels;
• Provide support to the UN Decade Coordinator on processes and coordination of meetings of the Advisory Board, meetings with Global Partners and Collaborating Agencies, and meetings of the Executive Board of the Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF);
• Liaise on UN Decade flagships and establish and maintain cooperation on these across UNEP, including regular consultations, and maintaining good internal and external information flow and generate content for the website;
• Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc.; including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Lead on UNEP internal project reporting responsibilities and support the external reporting commitments on the progress, results and outcomes of the UN Decade to main donors,
including reviewing relevant documents and reports and supporting the preparation of an annual update report to the High Level Political Forum and the Secretary-General’s report on the UN Decade to the UN General Assembly at its 81st session;
• Assist in strategy and policy development, including by identifying, analyzing and monitoring developments and emerging issues in the global environmental field and the preparation of evaluations and other research activities and studies;
• Preparing various written outputs, e.g. briefing notes, background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Undertaking outreach activities; conducting training workshops, seminars, and making presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Represent the UN Decade core team at key events;
• Performing other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, public administration, business administration, management, environmental management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area, of which at least two years at international level is required.
Working experience in the United Nations or an international organization is a desirable.
Experience in managing complex networks or partnerships is a desirable.
English and French are the official languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.