United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The position is in the Policy, Legislation and Governance Section of the Urban Practices Branch (UPB) within the Global Solutions Division of UN-Habitat Headquarters in Nairobi.
The Global Solutions Division (GSD) is responsible for providing programmatic direction for UN-Habitat and is responsible and accountable for the programmatic delivery of the Strategic Plan. The Division leads the tools and methodology production and the integration of the various substantive competencies towards effective delivery of the Strategic Plan and the mandate of UN-Habitat. It provides substantive training to staff members and supports capacity development of Member States and partners.
The Urban Practices Branch (UPB) is the tools and methodology production and skills centre of the UN-Habitat, that develops normative guidance and cutting-edge tools through communities of urban practice. It provides technical and policy advice approaches and methodologies to Multi country offices and Country offices, government and partners and mainstreams them throughout the programme portfolio. It also ensures that the cross-cutting area of safety and the social inclusion issues of human rights; gender; children, youth and older persons; and disability are developed and mainstreamed across the Agency.
The Policy, Legislation and Governance Section is responsible for coordinating the Agency’s substantive, normative and operational work on various dimensions of Policy, Legislation and Governance. The Section aims to develop, document, pilot/test and disseminate norms, standards, tools, methodologies, regulatory frameworks, operating procedures and practices at global, regional, national and sub-national levels; offer tailor-made solutions on policy, legislative and governance for cities, regions and metropolitan areas; and generate and manage cutting-edge knowledge and data in relation to these areas.
Under the supervision of Chief of the Policy, Legislation and Governance Section and within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies,
• Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to project funding (preparation of concept notes and project proposals), budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.)
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, taking into
account universality and integration; and the inter-linkages of the 2030 Agenda with other international and regional policies related to sustainable development. Experience working at national and regional levels, delivering support to member states and working with diverse partners.
Proven ability to communicate clearly the inter-linkages of diverse sustainable development issues and the use of integrated approaches that balance the environmental, social and economic of sustainable development. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of environmental, social, and economic data and information to draft policy briefs and other reports for decision making.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Communication:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing of work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in international relations, environmental policy/science, business administration, project planning and management, or related disciplines, is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years (7) of progressively responsible experience working in policy, inter-governmental and inter-agency activities related to sustainable development, programme planning or related area, is required.
Working experience in an international organization such as the United Nations or similar is desirable.
Working experience on 2030 Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals is desirable.
Work experience in regional/country level environmental programming and planning is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
NOTE: 'Fluency' equals a rating of 'fluent' in all four areas (speak, read, write and understand) and 'Knowledge of' equals a rating of 'confident' in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.