United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The position is in the Programme Development Branch of the Global Solutions Division of UN- Habitat.
The Global Solutions Division (GSD) is responsible for providing programmatic direction for UN-Habitat and is responsible and accountable for the programmatic delivery of the Strategic Plan. The Division leads the tools and methodology production and the integration of the various substantive competencies towards effective delivery of the Strategic Plan and the mandate of UN-Habitat. It provides substantive training to staff members and supports capacity development of Member States and partners
The Programme Development Branch (PDB) is responsible for the overall coordination of programme development. It brings together normative and operational expertise supporting high- quality integrated programmes that maximize results across the outcomes and the domains of change in the Strategic Plan.
It builds on concrete demands of national and local governments, strengthening the capacity of government and urban stakeholders at all levels to address the social, economic, environmental and crisis dimensions of sustainable urbanization. The Branch also focuses on supporting global programme development to strengthen normative capacity and knowledge generation to increase impact and influence, through strategic partnerships.
The Programme Officer reports to either the Chief of Branch and to the coordinator of sub-programme 4 and works in flexible teams aligned with the sub-programmes of the Strategic Plan and with other priorities set out in the workplan.
Within delegated authority, the Incumbent will be responsible for the following duties, focusing on urban crisis prevention and response, including issues of migration and displacement;
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc. and provision of quality technical support to global, regional and country programmes/projects; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Assists in analysis of issues and trends, stakeholder mapping, in alignment with relevant areas of the Strategic Plan, etc.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, taking into account universality and integration; and the inter-linkages of the 2030 Agenda with other international and regional policies related to sustainable development. Experience working
at national and regional levels, delivering support to member states and working with diverse partners.
Proven ability to communicate clearly the inter-linkages of diverse sustainable development issues and the use of integrated approaches that balance the environmental, social and economic of sustainable development. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of environmental, social, and economic data and information to draft policy briefs and other reports for decision making.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Communication:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing of work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in international relations, environmental policy/science, business administration, project planning and management, or related disciplines, is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years (7) of progressively responsible experience working in policy, inter-governmental and inter-agency activities related to sustainable development, programme planning or related area, is required.
Working experience in an international organization such as the United Nations or similar is desirable.
Working experience on 2030 Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals is desirable.
Work experience in regional/country level environmental programming and planning is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
NOTE: 'Fluency' equals a rating of 'fluent' in all four areas (speak, read, write and understand) and 'Knowledge of' equals a rating of 'confident' in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.