United Nations Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Part of UNEP, the Resilience to Disasters and Conflicts Global Support Branch (RD&CGSB) has responded to crisis situations in more than 40 countries since 1999, delivering high-quality environmental expertise to national governments and partners in the UN family. Field-based assessments of the environmental impacts of crises on human health, livelihoods and security form the core of UNEP’s conflict and disaster management operations. However, as the international community has shifted its focus from post-crisis intervention to crisis prevention, the branch has also expanded its operational range, adding disaster risk reduction and environmental cooperation for peace-building to its core services of post-crisis environmental assessment and recovery.
RD&CGSB provides cutting-edge environmental science and expertise to countries affected by or vulnerable to conflicts and disasters. The objective is to minimize threats to human well-being from the environmental causes and consequences of conflicts and disasters, and to re-orient crisis-affected countries towards more sustainable forms of development.
RD&CGSB employs 20 people in Geneva and all together 100 international staff, local staff, and consultants when including the UNEP project offices in Afghanistan, Haiti, Nigeria and Sudan, which are an integral part of the branch. RD&CGSB is also implementing long-term programmes in other parts of the world.
This post is located at the Resilience to Disasters and Conflicts Global Support Branch, Nairobi duty station. The incumbent will report to the Administrative Officer and will be responsible for the following:
• Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work of the unit for, monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
• Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services.
• Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
• Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
• Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing.
• Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the
functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources.
Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary courses in Business Administration, Programme/Project management or other related field is desirable.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be
accepted in lieu of the GGST.
The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
A minimum of five (5) years of administrative experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
Three (3) years experience within the United Nations or similar international organization handling funds management processes is desirable.
Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools such as Umoja is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.