United Nations Procurement Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Procurement Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UNHabitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi, Procurement Section at the Nairobi duty Station under the overall supervision of the Chief, Procurement Section.
• Serves as a senior procurement and contracting expert with responsibility for the world-wide procurement of a wide variety of supplies and services associated with highly complex (technically and legally) contracts and procurement activities; may lead procurement work for a segment of a central or large peace-keeping program.
• Provides technical advice on procurement activities to officials of substantive units during all phases of the procurement cycle.
• Analyzes and evaluates procurement requests and ensures appropriateness of technical specifications.
• Develops and prepares highly complex contracts for procurement of non-routine and technologically advanced commodities or long-range services; issues international tender invitations; evaluates responses to tender, and makes recommendations for finalization of purchases and award of contracts; signs procurement orders up to the authorized limit, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized signature authority, prepares submissions to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
• Develops new tactical approaches to contracts, as well as new methods for their application, based on market research.
• Contributes to development of institutional procurement policies and procedures; develops standards and criteria for the evaluation of goods, services, supplier capacity, etc.
• Maintains under constant examination production patterns in exporting countries; evaluates the productive capacities and performance of manufacturers to identify supply sources.
• Establishes approaches for negotiations and conducts or coordinates all phases of negotiations with all concerned parties, including the negotiation of disputes arising from contracts.
• May carry out consultancy missions to the field.
• Provides direction and guidance to more junior staff and perform other work-related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for highly complex and technologically advanced goods and services. Knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex procurement and contract issues. Knowledge of quantitative methods to measure supplier capacity systems and ability to identify sources of supply, market trends and pricing.
Ability to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors. Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve a range of complex and/or sensitive issues/problems. Ability to develop procurement policies, procedures and new programmes. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal
concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box"; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Supplementary courses or additional training in procurement functions is desirable. Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) Level 4 or equivalent certification is desirable.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, administration or related area is required.
• Five (5) years direct first hand procurement experience on acquisition of strategic, high-value and of complex scope of goods and services from worldwide sources and for diversified clients in multiple countries is required.
• Experience in managing procurement of high value and complex requirements in support of development programme with multiple thematic areas is desirable.
• Three (3) years direct experience in supervising a procurement team that manages the acquisition of diversified categories of goods and services to support multiple clients is desirable.
• Experience working with a Systems, Application and Products (SAP) system or another Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Procurement Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.