United Nations Intern - Public Information Jobs in Nigeria
United Nations Intern - Public Information Jobs in Nigeria
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies.
OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts.
OCHA's mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies;
Advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
This internship advertisement is to fill an internship position located in the OCHA Nigeria office in Abuja.
The intern reports to the Head of the Public Information and Communication Unit. Selected intern will be expected to serve for an initial period of two (2) to four (4) months, with a possibility for extension, depending on the needs of OCHA and the availability of the selected candidate. The internship is unpaid.
The intern will play a key role in launching and managing the social media channels for the OCHA Nigeria country office and the intern's daily responsibilities will consist of supporting the Public Information and Communication unit:
• Tracks, researches and analyses information on assigned topics/issues; gathers information from diverse sources and helps to assess news value and other potential impact, as well as to evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
• Drafts/compiles a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.), of information communications products for target audiences, to include press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, websites, etc.
• Organizes the clearance, production and distribution of information material; conducts photo and graphic research.
• Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initials drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
• In consultation with others identifies and proposes information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
• Identifies key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
• Organizes or participates in the organization of conferences, seminar, press briefings, interviews, etc.; prepares briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
• Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepares related correspondence.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Client Orientation: considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients "and seeks to see things from clients' point of view;
Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Communication: speaks and writes clearly and
effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
The applicant is expected to:
• Have an interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
• Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
•Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
•Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent); or
•Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation from an academic programme.
Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
The University degree must be in the area of Journalism, International Relations, Humanitarian Response, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Design or other relevant field.
No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Intern - Public Information Jobs in Nigeria
Find Latest Jobs in Nigeria Today - Recruitment in Nigeria Job - Nigerian Jobs - in Nigeria - Job Vacancies in Nigeria
Search our career portal & find the latest Nigerian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Nigeria.
Jobs in Nigeria - banking jobs in Nigeria, IT jobs in Nigeria, accounting jobs in Nigeria, NGO jobsin Nigeria, business administration in Nigeria, ICT jobs in Nigeria, UN jobs in Nigeria, procurement jobs in Nigeria, education jobs in Nigeria, hospital jobs in Nigeria, human resources jobs in Nigeria, engineering jobs in Nigeria, teaching jobs in Nigeria, and other careers in Nigeria.
Oil and Gas job vacancies in Nigeria, MTN jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria for fresh graduates.
Federal government jobs in Nigeria, job vacancies in Nigeria Federal Civil Service.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Nigeria posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.