United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This position is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Division of Administrative Services (DAS), Information and Communication Technology Service (ICTS), Infrastructure and Conference Support (ICS), Infrastructure Management (IMS).
The UNON Network and Communication infrastructure consists of more than 8,000 ports for Local Area Network and Physical Access Control and is spread over 45 buildings and conference rooms, on over 146 acres of land, and hosting approximately 5,000 users of UN funds and programs in Kenya and Regional offices. In addition, the campus network has a radio tower and satellite-dish.
The Chief of Network and Communication role is to plan, direct, and coordinate the design, installation, and connectivity of smart campus network to ensure the stable operation of the organization’s IT green on-prem and cloud-based assets.
This includes developing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all new and existing network hardware, software, and communication links. The Chief of Network and Security will also schedule and direct the activities of a team of network specialists to resolve end user hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
Under the general supervision of the Chief, Infrastructure and Conference Support (ICS) and the direct supervision of the Chief, Infrastructure Management (IMS), the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Strategy & Planning
• Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to make certain network capacity meets existing and future requirements, such as Smart Campus, 5G, Cloud based network, and Software Defined WAN.
• Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network resource administration and appropriate use.
• Develop and deploy methodologies for testing network performance and providing network performance statistics and reports.
• Establish best practices and policies for installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
• Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation.
• Establish service level agreements with client’s entities and ensure maximum satisfaction.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Plan, acquire, and coordinate installation of in-house and remote hardware and software across the organization’s network.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
• Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
• Assess, approve, and administer all equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
• Manage and ensure effectiveness of network and unified communication infrastructure and associated operating systems and software.
• Manage and ensure optimal operation of all network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches, wi-fi, mobile network, satellite, and so on.
• Manage and ensure effectiveness of security solutions, including firewalls, anti-virus solutions, and intrusion detection systems.
• Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, decision-makers, stakeholders, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent network activities.
• Approve and administer user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
• Perform other work-related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of information technology/information management,
particularly in LAN/WAN networking, telecommunications and IT security systems. Extensive knowledge and in-depth understanding of routing/switching protocols and significant exposure to and demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of network management, including Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, Firewalls, Virtual Private Networks, and Wireless Networks. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, to include proficiency in the development and implementation of network systems of moderate size/complexity.
Knowledge of interactive systems; good knowledge of organization's information infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user area(s); independently maintains assigned systems and develops innovative approaches to resolve a wide range of issues/problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation, operation and maintenance of network systems or related area with relevance to infrastructure systems and operations is required.
Significant experience in functional and technical aspects inter-alia of Local, Metropolitan and Wide Area Networking, Super WiFi technologies, 5G Communication, IP Unified Communication, Cloud Based Network architecture, and SD WAN is required.
Experience in network security, firewalls, Intrusion Detection and Prevention, Access Control, wiring standards and best practices, mobile solutions, secure communications and disaster recovery / business continuity environments is required.
Experience with data analytics technologies is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.