United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting This position is located in the Operations and Resources Management Pillar (ORM), Field Technology Section (FTS). The incumbent will be based in Nairobi and reports directly to the Chief, FTS Operations Management Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Plans and directs all major information systems within the Mission, Monitoring the systems analysis, development, testing and implementation of new, moderately complex systems, and/or, participates as a member of a team with responsibility for major components of the more complex systems;
• Manages the budget of the Information systems unit, formulating and managing budget allocations and expenditures, verifying funding and ensuring no overrun occurs. Develops technical specifications for the procurement of equipment and contractual services, and coordinates the technical evaluation of offers and proposals received;
• Develops and recommends strategies to implement global Information systems originating out of OICT/OSD and the Mission;
• Develops, implements and monitors information systems standards, guidelines and procedure;
• Develops detailed systems and other functional specifications and user documentation for systems as required;
• Provides specialized advice to users, analyzing users' requirements and translating those into new application; determines application system integration and linkage issues;
• Maintains, upgrades or enhances existing user systems; troubleshoots and provides continuing support, to include resolving difficult problems, advising on the use of new techniques, monitoring transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of assigned systems, etc;
• Develops training materials, operating and user manuals; trains staff in assigned systems;
• Develops disaster recovery plans relating to information systems and ensures appropriate planning and training of those responsible;
• Researches, analyses and evaluates new technologies and makes recommendations for their deployment;
• Participates in writing reports and papers on systems-related topics, system requirements, information strategy, etc;
• Provides professional leadership and work direction for the Unit, develops the yearly work plan, mentors and supervises personnel of the Unit.
Internet-working and infrastructure:
• Develops plans for major IT systems projects within the Mission, monitoring the progress of the design, installation and commissioning of the various systems;
• Leads the team in the operation and maintenance of internet-working systems that includes routers and switches, operating systems platforms, database management systems, servers, workstations and related equipment;
• Devices and administers disaster recovery plans; provides training for support staff to implement these plans to ensure optimal readiness;
• Responsible for the proper implementation of backup and recovery procedures;
• Maintains a regular review of the network resources access control, data security and server and data stores security systems;
• Ensures all information security systems are properly configured and maintained;
• Oversees the user access control for network resources and overall network security;
• Handles all aspects of contract administration including establishment of service level agreements with vendors and charge-back policy for users;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of systems design, and development, management, implementation and maintenance of
complex information systems. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
High school diploma or equivalent. Technical training in related fields and certification in PRINCE2 (preferred) or PMP is desirable. Certification in ITIL and/or ISO20000 is also desirable.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related areas is required. The minimum number of years of relevant experience is reduced to five (5) for candidates who possess at least a first level university degree
Experience managing and overseeing large centralized and globally distributed institutional systems is required.
Two years experience providing service in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer Information systems or related areas in a field operation of the United Nations Common System or comparable international organization is desirable.
Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
Experience in budget, staffing and performance management and reporting is also desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Information Systems Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.