United Nations Chief of Unit, Integrated Support Services Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Chief of Unit, Integrated Support Services Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UNHabitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Section, FMTS, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
General administration and financial management and control:
• Develops and implements assigned programs/ projects, monitors and analyses program/ project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; Produces major/ complex reports for management, organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, etc.;
• Responsible for providing input to biennium work plans and ensuring compliance, taking into account the most effective use of resources; Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports; Maintain financial control over all construction, maintenance, renovation projects/ works, commercial and transport services;
Reviews and manages construction, maintenance, commercial and transport related payments; Liaise with Budget Section to ensure budget compliance and availability of funds.
Establishes and maintains a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.
• Supports the Chief, FMTS, in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies related to the physical use and operations of UN Gigiri Complex;
• Develops and implements measurement of section performance indicators;
• Provides inputs to General Assembly (GA) construction reports, strategic capital construction plans, environmental management reports, audits report and operational biennium budgets;
Develops and implements assigned projects and programs; Support and provide input into improvement and upgrade of current and launch of new SAP facilities and fixed asset modules, including real estate and service delivery; Represent the Section and UNON at various advisory and/or working committees.
Human resources management:
• Supervises staff and performs all staff-related administrative functions; Provides technical direction and contract related oversight, expert guidance and leadership to section staff, consultants, and contractors;
• Initiates and coordinates actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures;
Supervise staff and perform all staff-related administrative functions; Provide technical direction and contract related oversight, expert guidance and leadership to section staff, consultants, and contractors;
Architectural/engineering and operations oversight:
• Oversees day-to-day activities related to the management of real estate, construction, engineering, architecture, project management, maintenance, commercial operations, events, and transport services;
• Supervises, co-ordinates and manage all construction, maintenance, and renovation projects; Supervises, coordinates, and manages financial recording of all building/ infrastructure/ equipment assets.
• Monitors and manages performance against contract scope of works; Develop and implement maintenance schedules; Coordinate timely materials purchasing;
• Ensure environmental best practice, maintenance and other life cycle related efficiencies are incorporated; Works with capital construction projects teams to ensure appropriate integration of new buildings/ infrastructure into maintenance programs in timely manner, including providing inputs in appropriate materials and equipment selections.
• Sets standards and oversees electronic documentation of all buildings and grounds; Manage and monitor specialist software installation, upgrades and licenses;
• Provides technical supervision and setting of standards including routine back up for construction professionals and team of draftsmen.
• Sets standards
and oversees implementation of archives and records management, business continuity and archiving/ retention schedules.
• Supervises, coordinates, and manages the environmental management system, certification, and annual greenhouse gas inventory;
• Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures; Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector/ functional area, including real estate, construction, engineering, architecture, project management, maintenance, commercial operations, events and transport services; Knowledge of contracts management related issues and ability to evaluate technical proposals and works including bills of quantities, technical drawings, quality and safety standards; Knowledge of relevant and applicable UN rules and regulations and procedures related to procurement, budget, finance and staff, as well as the ability to apply these as necessary;
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture, Engineering, Project, Business Operations and Management/ Administration or similar field is required. Additional training and or qualifications in real estate property / facilities management is desirable. Professional certification or membership of chartered institutes is desirable. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in Architecture, Engineering, Project Management, Business Operations and Management/ Administration in facilities management field or related area is required.
Prior experience in the management and oversight of large-scale business operations, construction and renovation projects and or commercial services within an international organization is required.
Proven track record with the coordination and supervisory management of teams of technical, facilities/ operations professionals is required.
Practical experience with implementation, oversights and administration of complex facilities projects, systems/ services, contracts and or facilities and commercial operations and maintenance is desirable.
A track record of implementing major projects effectively, on time and budget is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Chief of Unit, Integrated Support Services Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.