United Nations Chief of Service, Programme Management Jobs in South Sudan
United Nations Chief of Service, Programme Management Jobs in South Sudan
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Parties to the Vienna Convention (VC) for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (1985) and its Montreal Protocol (MP) on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (1987), designated UNEP as the Secretariat for these two international agreements in 1989.
This post is located in the UNEP/Ozone Secretariat, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Executive Secretary, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
Assisting in framing strategic priorities and the programme of work:
• Advise the Executive Secretary on aspects related to the Secretariat's strategic priorities and the programme of work for the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer;
• Take active part in the management team of the Ozone Secretariat to ensure the full implementation of the objectives of the Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol;
• Provision of advice and information on political matters, policies, implementation and the status of the protection of the ozone layer.
Assisting in the administration and management of the Secretariat:
• Advise and support the Executive Secretary in management of the Ozone Secretariat on a daily basis. Supervision of the relevant staff of the Secretariat and overseeing the administrative functions of the Secretariat including the preparation of budgets, management of human and financial resources, oversight on procurement, travel and ICT;
• Represent and promote the Convention and Protocol in relevant international organizations and fora, as directed by the Executive Secretary.
Assisting in servicing the meetings of Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol:
• Support the Executive Secretary in coordinating the Secretariat's responsibilities to service the intergovernmental and its associated meetings to ensure that the Parties' mandates under the Convention and Protocol are given maximum support;
• Assist the Executive Secretary in advising the Presidents and co-chairs of governing and subsidiary bodies in discharging their responsibilities as presiding officers, ensuring the smooth organization and efficient conduct of meetings according to the rules of procedure;
• Assist with all follow up actions emanating from these meetings;
• In servicing meetings, ensure full and accurate coverage of the meetings by report-writers, resulting in meeting reports that accurately reflect the deliberations that took place and the decisions taken;
• Coordinate with the Senior Administrative Officer, to specify the meeting requirements for the effective running of the meetings;
• Coordinate with the Communication Officer, on the organization of media presence/activities at meetings when appropriate, preparation of informative press releases covering relevant meetings.
Supervising and monitoring the activities of the Convention and its Protocol:
• Coordinate with the Assessment Panels on the development of reports on technological, economic and scientific matters requested by the Parties;
• Oversee Secretariat activities related to compliance, data and information reported by the Parties in accordance with the Montreal Protocol and the Vienna Convention;
• Identify and promote synergies between the ozone treaties and other MEAs and closely coordinate with the relevant MEA secretariats and UNEP the appropriate actions in these areas, in particular, issues related to climate/atmospheric protection.
Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of ozone-related technical, scientific or legal matters; Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than
personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree in environmental sciences, public policy, law or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible work experience in environmental protection or a related field of which at least five (5) years should have been at an international level is required.
Experience in managing staff and resources is required.
Experience working with multilateral environmental agreements dealing with negotiations and diplomacy is desirable.
Experience working on legal issues or governance is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations language is an added advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Chief of Service, Programme Management Jobs in South Sudan
Find daily jobs in South Sudan. Jobs - South Sudan jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest South Sudan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in South Sudan.
Jobs in South Sudan - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in South Sudan.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in South Sudan posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.