United Nations Chief, Budget and Project Finance Section Jobs in South Sudan
United Nations Chief, Budget and Project Finance Section Jobs in South Sudan
Org. Setting and Reporting This position is located in the Resource Management Service (RMS), in the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Geneva. The incumbent reports directly to the Chief of RMS.
Within delegated authority, the Section Chief, Budget and Project Finance Section will be responsible for the following duties:
• Plans, organizes and manages the preparation of the strategic framework and its revisions on the basis of departmental submissions, taking into account recommendations and decisions of specialized intergovernmental bodies.
• Ensures legislative mandates are accurately translated into programme budgets.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from UNCTAD offices, including programmatic aspects; ensures compliance with the strategic framework and other legislative mandates.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes programme budget/financial implications to OPPBA in light of revised or additional mandates.
• Provides substantive support to OPPBA and relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their budget review; secures approval from the General Assembly.
• Manages/issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Oversees the review and finalization of budget performance reports; monitors variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Provides substantive advice and support to UNCTAD management, intergovernmental and expert bodies in review of budget performance reports; secure approval from the General Assembly.
• Provides advice and guidance to UNCTAD staff on budgetary and financial policies and procedures, including results-based budgeting.
• Participates in inter-departmental meetings on matters related to resource requirements, programming and budgetary issues.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Prepares/finalizes reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on budgetary issues, and correspondence, including guidelines, instructions.
• Ensures effective and efficient monitoring and control of budgetary resources and the use of posts, review and analyse expenditures, maintains budget discipline.
• Identifies trends and problems, develops and undertakes corrective measures.
• Reviews and analyses budgetary policies and procedures, makes recommendations for changes and/or modifications.
• Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 105.5 to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with budgets and established regulations and rules.
• Serves on UNCTAD's Grants Committee.
• Ensures the integrity of financial and management systems and the controls that underpin them.
• Prepares replies to audit observations, ensure follow-up and implementation of recommendations.
• Coordinates workflow and procedures with substantive divisions of UNCTAD, administrative services at UNOG and UNHQ, and UNDP.
• Represents UNCTAD in meetings of legislative and expert organs as required, including the Fifth Committee and Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ).
• Acts as IPSAS and ERP focal point at UNCTAD, coordinates Umoja implementation activities.
• Represents UNCTAD in inter and intra-departmental meetings.
• Plans, organizes and manages staff and work programme; plans and discusses individual work programmes with staff and evaluates their performance.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget management and financial administration of resources. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines. Knowledge of IPSAS and ERP systems, such as Umoja. Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications, such as Excel, Powerpoint, etc. Proven analytical skills and ability
to provide technical advice to managers on budget formulation and management, including as it relates to regular budget, projects or the establishment of operations in the field. Ability to formulate new strategies and approaches to budget and financial management issues.
• Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
• Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, public administration, accounting, finance or related field is required.
A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job - Specific Qualification
Professional accounting qualification (CPA, CMA, CA) is desirable.
A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in budget, finance, accounting, business administration or related area is required.
Out of these, five years of experience in the budget and financial management of large programmes, including programmes of technical assistance nature and in an international organization is desirable.
A minimum of three years of experience leading a budget/finance team is desirable.
Experience with ERP systems, such as UMOJA, is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Chief, Budget and Project Finance Section Jobs in South Sudan
Find daily jobs in South Sudan. Jobs - South Sudan jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest South Sudan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in South Sudan.
Jobs in South Sudan - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in South Sudan.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in South Sudan posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.