UN-HABITAT Inter-regional Adviser Jobs in Kenya
UN-HABITAT Inter-regional Adviser Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The position is in the Programme Development Branch of the Global Solutions Division of UN-Habitat in Nairobi.
The Global Solutions Division (GSD) is responsible for providing programmatic direction for UN-Habitat and is responsible and accountable for the programmatic delivery of the Strategic Plan. The Division leads the tools and methodology production and the integration of the various substantive competencies towards effective delivery of the Strategic Plan and the mandate of UN-Habitat. It provides substantive training to staff members and supports capacity development of Member States and partners.
The Programme Development Branch (PDB) is responsible for the overall coordination of programme development. It brings together normative and operational expertise supporting high-quality integrated programmes that maximize results across the outcomes and the domains of change in the Strategic Plan. It builds on concrete demands of national and local governments, strengthening the capacity of government and urban stakeholders at all levels to address the social, economic, environmental and crisis dimensions of sustainable urbanization. The Branch also focuses on supporting global programme development to strengthen normative capacity and knowledge generation to increase impact and influence, through strategic partnerships.
The Senior Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the Branch and works with flexible teams aligned with the sub-programmes of the Strategic Plan and with other priorities set out in the workplan.
The focus of this position is coordination of one of the subprogramme of UN-Habitat’s Strategic Plan focusing on addressing spatial inequality and poverty reduction, amongst others, provide technical advisory services, steer programme development in alignment with the Strategic Plan and lead on assigned global programmes.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects; ensures quality technical advisory support to global, regional and country programmes/project development in response to needs of beneficiary local and national governments to support Member States to begin the implementation of the domains of change of UN-Habitat’s Strategic Plan; etc.; coordinates alignment of UN-Habitat’s programme and project portfolio with the subprogramme; directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
Advisory functions and project / programme development;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting project/programme proposals, mission summaries, etc.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. project/programme proposals, background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; guides design of data collection instruments; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Coordinates the work programme as per the Strategic Plan and ensure integration across the relevant outcomes in other Domains of Change.
• Coordinates policy development, analysis of issues and trends, stakeholder mapping, etc. in alignment with relevant areas of the Strategic Plan, etc.
• Directs research and programme evaluation and presents information
gathered from diverse sources.
Programme Implementation and management;
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
Judgement/decision Making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
An advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in urban and regional planning, business administration, management, economics or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Proven experience in developing and managing complex urban development programmes and projects, dealing with spatial inequality, is desirable.
Proven experience in working on urban issues in a developing context is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another of a second official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN-HABITAT Inter-regional Adviser Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.