UN-HABITAT Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
UN-HABITAT Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Program, UN-HABITAT, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This position is located in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Unit of the Resources Management Section of the Management, Advisory and Compliance Service (MACS) of UN-Habitat in Nairobi. MACS is responsible to coordinate and provide administrative support for the implementation of UN-Habitat's work programme, either directly or through the engagement of third-party service providers.
Under the direct supervision of Head of ICT Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new application systems releases, modules and functionalities.
• Develops, tests and implements simple computer application systems and programs using UN established standards for IT technologies, programming languages and tools.
• Serves as team member in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and support of computer application systems; independently liaises with users to define and specify requirements.
• Installs computer application systems software and hardware according to specifications; monitors computer applications systems using appropriate monitoring tools and produces monitoring reports.
• Prepares technical and user documentation for deployed computer application systems, as well as training materials and conducts technical presentations.
• Maintains functional specifications for computer application systems, programs and procedures developed and/or modified.
• Provides support for deployed computer application systems including version management, data recovery and deployment to users’ offices; performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to users requests.
• Drafts correspondence and communications, including work plan revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
• Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of computer application systems development projects, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; prepares standard terms of reference; processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to project implementation, e.g. organization of and participation in training, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field; performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions.
• Provides guidance to new/junior staff.
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Professionalism: In-depth knowledge of Microsoft .NET/C#, PHP, Drupal, and Web application development. Good technical skills, ability to participate in development and maintenance of applications and provide user support. Is able to analyse and interpret programme and project performance data and draft reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with
difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Computer certificate or diploma IT is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Eastern Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva.
A minimum seven years of progressively responsible experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing or related area is required.
Working experience in web application design Microsoft.net, Drupal, PHP, C# and data visualization is required.
Work experience in mobile application development and cloud-based container platforms, Azure or AWS administration, and DevOps is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
• For more information and job application details, see; UN-HABITAT Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.