UN-HABITAT Associate Programme Officer, Partnerships Jobs in Kenya
UN-HABITAT Associate Programme Officer, Partnerships Jobs in KenyaOrg. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements.
It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
This post is located in the Human Rights and Social Inclusion Unit of UN-Habitat in the Urban Practices Branch. They report directly to the head of the Unit, and, as appropriate, may also report to the Chief of the Branch.
• Within delegated authority, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Researches and collects information pertaining to human rights / social inclusion / gender matters, particularly in the context of sustainable urban development, including their gender dimensions from a variety of data sources (e.g. communications, publications, the press) to keep abreast of issues/events and provide up-to-date information; assists in the analysis of information, to include the impact on the countries and thematic mandates on the human rights situation in assigned area.
• Drafts a variety of reports and correspondence relating to human rights, social inclusion and gender matters.
• Participates in meetings and consultations; prepare summaries of results.
• Maintains awareness of current human rights, gender and social inclusion issues, to include relevant political and legal developments in the country(ies) / thematic issues concerned.
• Participates in human rights / gender / social inclusion training and capacity building programmes for national officials, representatives of the civil society and human rights non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in order to promote national capacity building.
• Supports internal capacity building on human rights / gender / social inclusion, including the Human Rights-based Approach to development.
• Reviews human rights issues, including their gender and social inclusion dimensions, and participates in discussions with other Human Rights Officers (HROs) on the integration of these issues into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programmes.
• Provides human rights / social inclusion / gender-based policy and project review, including applying safeguard systems, and supporting colleagues with the development of project indicators and results-based impact monitoring in the context of human rights.
• Assists in promoting efforts for community mobilization and those that focus on exercise of rights of population, supports coordination of Social Inclusion Focal Points and various human rights / social inclusion / gender advisory groups.
• Liaises with government, NGOs, Civil Society organizations, UN agencies and other partners to create baseline data on the human rights situation, with special attention to vulnerable groups.
• Designs and maintains database to track project progress.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of human rights issues and ability to identify related problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions. Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures. Research and analytical skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of human rights issues. Ability to identify sources for data collection, analyze information and draft human rights reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
A first-level university degree in law, human rights or related field is required. (Candidates for this position must have passed the United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the G to P Examination. No examination is required for candidates in peacekeeping missions.)
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area. (No experience is required for candidates who have passed a United Nations Competitive Recruitment Examination.)
Experience in working in an International Organization
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; For this position, English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
• This position is temporarily available for a period of 364 days. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
• While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
• Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
• This temporary job opening may be limited to “internal candidates,” who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
• Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
• Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN-HABITAT Associate Programme Officer, Partnerships Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.