UN-HABITAT Associate Coordination Officer Jobs in Kenya
UN-HABITAT Associate Coordination Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This position is located in the Urban Basic Services Section of the Urban Practices Branch (UPB) within the Global Solutions Division in Nairobi.
The Global Solutions Division (GSD) is responsible for providing programmatic direction for UN-Habitat and is responsible and accountable for the programmatic delivery of the Strategic Plan. The Division leads the tools and methodology production and the integration of the various substantive competencies towards effective delivery of the Strategic Plan and the mandate of UN-Habitat. It provides substantive training to staff members and supports capacity development of Member States and partners.
The Urban Practices Branch (UPB) is the tools and methodology production and skills centre of the UN-Habitat, that develops normative guidance and cutting-edge tools through communities of urban practice. It provides technical and policy advice approaches and methodologies to Multi-Country Office/Country Offices (MCOs/CO), government and partners and mainstreams them throughout the programme portfolio. It also ensures that the cross-cutting area of safety and the social inclusion issues of human rights; gender; children, youth and older persons; and disability are developed and mainstreamed across the Agency.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible of the following duties:
Provides support for strategic planning for and coordination of United Nations Country Team (UNCT) partnerships:
• Provides support, as assigned, for the development and implementation of the UN-Habitat strategy in Kenya in alignment with and support of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) in the country;
• Monitors and assesses the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to identify probable changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to propose mid-term adjustments;
• Provides support to the Chief of Section in identifying risks and opportunities related to specific partnerships, and suggests mitigation measures as relevant;
• Prepares inputs on due diligence processes of potential investment and partnership opportunities, under close guidance and in accordance with UN regulations and procedures;
• Provides support to Chief of Section to develop and implement locally-tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives;
• Contributes to dialogues with partners to improve development assistance policies and practice;
• Assists in liaison and coordination with UN entities at country, regional and HQ levels, to help package and define UN-Habitat business strategies, including differentiated value propositions to attract partners, both traditional and non-traditional.
Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UNDAF:
• Provides support to the Chief of Section to develop and implement locally-tailored resource mobilization strategies and initiatives, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
• Monitors and analyzes existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships, including those with high net worth;
• Contributes to the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes and programming processes for use in joint resource mobilization;
• Assists in the production and distribution of marketing materials to raise awareness about opportunities for working with the UN-Habitat on SDG 11 investment;
• Contributes to building the UN-Habitat brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners, in close collaboration with the UN-Habitat’s Communications Section.
Provides support on financing for accelerating the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 11, as directed
• Provides support on financing for development options, instruments, modalities to the Chief of Section, in alignment with the Common Country Assessment (CCA), UNDAF, UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), MAPS (Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support) and similar processes;
• Analyzes trends and provides support on new and innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG 11 acceleration;
• Provides inputs for briefing papers and discussion points on issues related to financing for development for consideration by the Section;
• Assists in
engaging with external stakeholder - including the national government, international financial institutions and others - on financing for SDG 11 acceleration;
• Contributes to the design and execution of innovative proposals to strengthen UN-Habitat’s engagement and reputation, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDG 11.
Supports knowledge management capacity development and information dissemination:
• Assists in the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to inform and position UN-Habitat to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets;
• Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice at national, regional and global levels;
• Undertakes activities to strengthen the capacity of UN-Habitat to mainstream and promote SDG 11 investment partnerships;
• Provides support for the discovery, evaluation and selection of partnership opportunities at the sourcing and origination stages.
• Performs other relevant duties as requested.
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Ability to undertake research, analyse data, make recommendations and write draft reports on sustainable development issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning and Organising:: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in sustainable development, Civil/Water/Sanitary/Public Health Engineering, Urban Infrastructure Planning, Environmental studies, education or related area, is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required.
• Experience in providing strategic support to partnerships, resource mobilization or development finance in the context of development cooperation in the water and sanitation sector is desirable.
• Working experience on the delivery of water and sanitation services to low-income areas and slums or in a related area, is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Kiswahili/Swahili (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other local languages of Kenya is desirable, especially for liaising with Government officials or the local community.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
• For more information and job application details, see; UN-HABITAT Associate Coordination Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.