UNEP Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.This post is located in the Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Organizing and ensuring that funds entrusted to the Division are managed with due diligence, within UN Rules and Regulations and fiduciary standards, ensuring optimization and alignment of the resources with the expected output of the Division applying result-based budgeting (RBB).
• Keeping the management team informed on the fund management situation and forecast.
• Bringing to the attention of the Division Director and Deputy all emerging issues implying an increased financial exposure to risk by the Division and proposing mitigating strategies.
• Preparing and delivering financial presentations and reports for UN Environment's Management, to the United Nations Environment Assembly and other Governing Bodies, and Donors as required.
• Organizing the contribution from Ecosystems Division to Office of Internal Oversight Services/United Nations Board of Auditors, audit missions, and ensuring implementation of accepted audit queries.
• Providing direction and support to the Fund Management Team to keep the project portfolio under strict control.
• Supervising the Fund Management staff team to support the Ecosystems Division branches and units in the project budgeting process, fund raising, legal contracting, fund programming and reporting.
• Organizing and ensuring that all externally implemented projects are audited every year and at the end of the project.
• Advising Divisional management on all aspects of human resources policies, procedures and substance and providing proactive and innovative approaches to delivery of human resources services as well as to strategic and policy issues.
• Supervising the Division's HR staff team and ensuring compliance with the prevailing UN rules and procedures.
• Supervising the administrative staff team and overseeing general administration issues of the Division.
• Producing reports and recommendations for management on the implementation of administrative rules, procedures, and circulars.
• Monitoring the adequacy of office space, office arrangements and technology for the Division and propose improvement plan when necessary.
Offices Away from Headquarters:
• Serving as general liaison between Nairobi and Divisional Offices away from Headquarters on financial, administrative and human resources information, and compile inputs to corporate requests.
• Supporting Regional Seas Secretariats in financial matters.
• Upon request, representing UN Environment in the Convention of Parties (COPs) of the Regional Seas.
Management of the Operations Support Unit:
• Developing the work plan of the unit, building the case for the allocation of the unit resources.
• Managing a team of professional and general service staff and providing leadership by jointly setting objectives and standards, managing performance, identifying training needs, and facilitating a teamwork and high productivity environment.
• Mentoring staff under supervision in accomplishing the objectives and outputs of the Unit and realizing individual personal goals and foster harmonious interpersonal relations in the Unit, Division and across organizational boundaries.
• Overseeing and managing performance as additional reporting officer of the Administrative Finance Management Officers in Divisional Offices away from Headquarters.
• Ensuring compliance, effective and efficient use of the corporate information system.
• Performing any other relevant duties as requested.
Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United
Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings, where applicable.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting, management or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible work experience in financial management, administration, human resources management and planning is required.
Five (5) years of experience at the international level in a supervisory capacity is required.
Experience with managing multiple types of donor funding (trust funds, donor contributions, multilateral funding mechanisms) is required.
Experience within intergovernmental organizations is desirable.
Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.