UNEP Chief of Service - Information Systems and Telecommunications Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Chief of Service - Information Systems and Telecommunications Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UNHabitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
The post is located in the Information Communication and Technology Service (ICTS) within the Division of Administrative Services (DAS), UNON. The incumbent reports to the Director of Administrative Services, UNON and will be responsible for the following:
• Formulate, direct and implement the substantive programme of work of ICTS in compliance with the decisions made by governing and legislative bodies and the United Nations ICT Strategy.
• Ensure that UNON is cloud based and able to deliver green, cost-effective ICT services across Africa.
• Oversee the management of activities undertaken by the Service, ensure that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinate work within the scope of the Service's responsibility with clients in UNON, in UNEP, in UNHABITAT and with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
• Co-ordinate the work carried out by different work units in the Service and provide substantive reviews and technical assessments of documentation and reports prepared by others.
• Co-ordinate and oversee the preparation of reports for presentation to interagency bodies at the duty station and for other pertinent bodies governing the IT activities both at the duty station and globally. This extends also to reports prepared for the ACABQ and the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly and other policy-making organs as far as UNON IT matters are concerned, as appropriate.
• Report on programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues related to IT, as appropriate, particularly those presented in official reports.
• Ensure that the outputs produced by the Service maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced by the Sections under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
• Assist the Director in preparing the work programme of the Service, determining priorities, planning and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
• Undertake or oversee the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Service, including preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance (PAS), interviews of candidates for job openings, and evaluation of candidates.
• Manage, guide, develop and train staff under his/her supervision.
• Foster teamwork and communication among staff in the Service and across organization.
• Undertake workforce planning and ensures upgrading of skills of ICT staff.
• Ensure planning, management and control of ICT contracts and assets.
• Lead and supervise the organization of meetings, seminars, workshops etc. on substantive issues. Participate in meetings on substantive IT matters and provide programmatic/substantive expertise.
• Hold programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other organizations of the UN family to which UNON provides IT support.
• Represents the Service at meetings.
• Lead and coordinate the work of the Regional Technology Centre (RTC) at UNON in close collaboration with OICT, UNHQ. Consolidate and manage local ICT entities in the region in compliance with the mandate given by the General Assembly.
• Ensure harmonization, streamlining and timely global support of enterprise applications and solutions.
• Perform other ad-hoc assignments and duties at the instructions of the Director and/or Director-General of UNON.
Professionalism: Knowledge of the substantive field of work in general and of specific areas being supervised. Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviors; Acts without consideration of personal gain; Resists undue political pressure in decision-making; Does not abuse power or authority; Stands by decisions that are in the Organization's interest, even if they are unpopular; Takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
Judgement/decision Making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts on others and on the organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree or equivalent in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related area is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in Information Systems and Services, Telecommunications, or related area is required.
Experience in the strategic global planning, design and implementation of hybrid cloud-based information and telecommunications networks and services or related area is required.
Experience in managing programmatic and administrative activities necessary for the functioning of the Service, including preparation of cost estimates/budgets, reporting on budget/programme performance, and recruitment of staff is required.
Technical knowledge/experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)/SAP; is required.
Experience with Microsoft Azure, O365 Power Apps and the Microsoft productivity suite is desirable.
Experience with implementing Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is desirable.
Experience in Information Systems, Services and Business Analytics within United Nations Secretariat/United Nations common system or similar organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Chief of Service - Information Systems and Telecommunications Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.